Data is getting truncated in exported file (.xls/.txt/.xlsx/.csv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data is getting truncated in exported file (.xls/.txt/.xlsx/.csv

Notes field Data is getting truncated in exported file (.xls/.txt/.xlsx/.csv). ONly 255 length of data are exporting remaining are truncated in exported file.
    I am using Hyena V8.8

Export Steps:
    Tools Menu - Export To Microsoft Excel .\
    Exporting to xls with tab delimeter wih unicode enabled.

What information is being displayed : Active Directory or WMI ? (the post is in the WMI topic). If WMI, let me know which class, but if AD, let me know what the attribute name is (notes, info, comment, there are a lot of them).
    Kevin Stanush
    SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

AD attribute name is Info (directory Name) .

Originally posted by Sasirekha View Post
      Notes field Data is getting truncated in exported file (.xls/.txt/.xlsx/.csv). ONly 255 length of data are exporting remaining are truncated in exported file.
      I am using Hyena V8.8

Export Steps:
      Tools Menu - Export To Microsoft Excel .\
      Exporting to xls with tab delimeter wih unicode enabled.

Comment

OK, I wanted to make sure AD was involved and not WMI. Hyena no longer truncates this information when the data is exported, as this issue was fixed several releases ago in v10.0. The truncation is needed on the screen, however, due to a Microsoft Windows limitation (any attempt to display more than 260 characters results in Windows closing the application).

If you need an upgrade quote, send an email to [email protected] with your license information from Tools > Settings > Licensing.

Thanks
        Kevin Stanush

Comment

Is there anyother export settings\techniques,to resolve this instead of moving to v10.0?

Originally posted by missioncritical View Post
          OK, I wanted to make sure AD was involved and not WMI. Hyena no longer truncates this information when the data is exported, as this issue was fixed several releases ago in v10.0. The truncation is needed on the screen, however, due to a Microsoft Windows limitation (any attempt to display more than 260 characters results in Windows closing the application).

If you need an upgrade quote, send an email to [email protected] with your license information from Tools > Settings > Licensing.

Thanks

Comment

In Hyena, no, as the Edit > Copy takes data from the GUI (screen) and sends it to a file. Microsoft Windows made the rules to limit this to 260 characters. Later versions of Hyena take this information from an internal structure which as the full text, which gets around the problem.

The only way to get around this issue is to use Exporter Pro (part of Hyena): Select your objects in Hyena, either multiple users, an OU, or a domain, select Tools > Exporter Pro > Export from Selected Objects. From there, customize one of the Active Directory exports or create a new one and include the output fields you want. The data will be written to a file, which you can then import into Excel, etc.

Try that and let me know if you have questions.
            Kevin Stanush

Comment

I am not getting this "From there, customize one of the Active Directory exports or create a new one and include the output fields you want. The data will be written to a file, which you can then import into Excel, etc. ". Details sent via mail to "SystemTools ToolBoard" <[email protected]>. And pls attach sample screen shots, if possible.

Comment

Here are more detailed instructions for exporting this information. Click on your domain in Hyena, select Tools > Exporter Pro > Export from Selected Objects. Click New... and enter a name like "AD User Details", and click OK. When the Export Properties are displayed, find in the right side list for "Available Exports" the Active Directory section, expand it, and double-click on the Detailed User export. Click the first box to enable it, then provide full path and file name if you want to for the output. For the field list, verify the output fields you want are there. You may need to add the 'info' attribute by changing the 'Attribute Category' to 'User Attributes' and finding 'info' in the list and adding it to the output field list. Click OK a couple of times, and you should see the Detailed User exported added to the list. Click Close, and back in Hyena, click Start Export. Exporter Pro will export all of your users (assuming you started by selecting the domain) to the file specified with the fields in the export properties.
                Kevin Stanush

Comment

But i could not add the below highlighted item in Directory Query Properties and are Directory Name :lastLogonTimestamp and %SYM_AD_PWD_AGE%.
                  Screenshots sent via mail.

Comment

To use 'lastlogontimestamp', just remove the lastlogon attribute and enter 'lastlogontimestamp' into the 'Other' field and click the Add (<<<) button. Just enter it manually.

Exporter Pro does not support symbols from Hyena, such as %SYM_AD_PWD_AGE%. These are calculated by Hyena.

Some options would be to use the AD calculated symbol named 'msDS-userpasswordexpirytimecomputed'. This attribute will tell you the date/time that the password is projected to expire. And, the 'pwdlastset' attribute can be used to show the date that the password was last set.

Directory name = name for AD purposes.
                    Kevin Stanush

Comment

Thanks for your last reply. It appears that Exporter Pro does not support translating the 'msDS-userpasswordexpirytimecomputed' into an actual date. We will fix this on the next update.

As for the 'pwdlastset' vs %SYM_AD_PWD_AGE%, I copied all of the accounts with a pwdlastset and the value of %SYM_AD_PWD_AGE% into Excel, and created a new column with the formula =Today-A1, and the results we the same as our calculation, rounded up or down accordingly.

I also checked and in Hyena v8.8 the calculation has not changed. The 'pwdlastset' is coming directly from AD, and Hyena bases the calculation of the password age based on the same attribute value 'pwdlastset'.
                      Kevin Stanush

Comment

Please add both pwdlastset and %SYM_AD_PWD_AGE% to an AD query, and run that for all of your users. Then, sort on the pwdlastset column and select all of the accounts that have a date in that column, and Edit > Copy the pwdlastset and %SYM_AD_PWD_AGE% to the clipboard, paste into a file, and email that to [email protected]. I'll put into Excel. Make sure a TAB is set as the field delimiter. I just need those two columns, nothing else. Hyena uses a Microsoft function to calculate this difference, so I don't know why it would be off, even considering time zone and DST settings.
                        Kevin Stanush

Comment

Also, check to see if the date/time displayed for pwdlastset is the same in Hyena as Exporter Pro for a couple of accounts. I wanted to make sure the date functions are returning the same value.
                          Kevin Stanush

Comment

Working...
                          X