win32_processor class not working properly for some servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• win32_processor class not working properly for some servers

Many of my HP servers do not print out a line in Hyena Exporter Pro in my output for the win32_processor class. The Hyena messages say it exported fine. The server has no errors when I logged on to through Hyena Exporter Pro to retrieve the data.

I found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953955?wa=wsignin1.0

Sure enough, all of these servers are HP DL580-G3's with dual-core Xeon processors. Everythinng else works fine. My problem is I need to report on the CPU's and cores. I don't believe the number of cores shows up anywhere else. There is "logical processors" in the OS wmi but that is not the same as cores.

Any other suggestions besides applying this hotfix to all of these servers? I don't think this is going to happen for a problem like this...

Thanks!

The Win32_Processor class seems to be the only way to report that information.

Comment

I'm getting this problem on 4 processor machines with two cores. I thought this was the issue but now I'm not sure. We have a tool called BDNA that is getting the data correctly. Is there any kind of trace I can do on Hyena Exporter Pro to see what is going on? They are using 3Ghz Xeon processors on old DL580-G3's running Windows Server 2003. I tried entering the wmic path command that the hotfix mentions and did not get the message mentioned in the article. It seems to be a pretty consistant error as far as I can tell, going by the hardware and OS having the problem.

Comment

Hyena is simply executing the WMI functions to retrieve data, then it's up to the WMI subsystem to determine what to return. You can experiment with CIM Studio from Microsoft to see what it reports for those systems.

Comment

Originally posted by cmccullough View Post
          Hyena is simply executing the WMI functions to retrieve data, then it's up to the WMI subsystem to determine what to return. You can experiment with CIM Studio from Microsoft to see what it reports for those systems.
          I understand. The fact that nothing on the print line is coming out for these servers, I thought it might indicate another problem.

I will try your suggestion. Thank you.

Comment

I didn't catch the fact that you weren't getting anything from those particular servers, but rather read the link about incorrect data in the fields. Make sure on those that are missing, that the Windows Management Instrumentation service is running, and also see if the Windows Firewall is on and could be blocking the request.

Comment

Just to clarify, I'm getting data for all of the servers. I was trying to say there is no data for win32_processor. In other words all of the fields in that class come back empty. Other stuff is just fine.

Comment

So the answer turned out to be that all 2003 servers do not have some of the fields, including cores, in the win32_processor class. There is a hotfix to add these fields and reboot the server. This must be done for every 2003 server. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932370

I probably will use something else to get the core data. Obviously HP must be getting the data in a proprietary manner for Sim since their report works. It's also interesting that CPU-Z, a utility I use at home for overclocking, also has this data.

If anyone has a better solution I'm all ears? Thanks everyone!

Comment

Try using RegMon (Google for it) and run it while you are running the HP or CPU-Z utility to see if they are finding this CPU information in the registry. If so, then Hyena or Exporter Pro can extract it that way. RegMon will show you the registry keys and values being extracted in real-time. Warning: you will see a lot of activity so try to run it only during the brief time you are collecting this information.
                  Kevin Stanush
                  SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

Working...
                  X