Generate report for total directory size in Mb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generate report for total directory size in Mb

I would like to scan all computers and report the total size in Mb of each computers D:\My Documents folder. How can I do this?

This is a rather complicated task.

"My Documents" is a virtual directory, and its mapped or assigned to a different directory for each user on the computer. Exporter Pro would not have a way of knowing who the users are at any given time. So if there were one and only one user on each computer, you could maybe look at c:\documents and settings\ or c:\users depending on the operating system.

Look at a typical computer remotely to see what I mean, and find the directory structure that you are trying to get the size for. I think you will find that its not possible to remotely know what the path is.

Another application such as TreeSize might be able to break this down for you, as its specifically designed to give this information (maybe).

Let me know what you find.
    Kevin Stanush
    SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

Actually, we default to a folder we create on users D: drive. "D:\My Document". Currently I am able to set an export on this folder and gather all the file size data from all the subdirectories but not the root folder D:\My Documents. This is where my hang up is. So my questions is how do I get the total size of the D:\My Documents folder with all it's sub folders included in that size.

Comment

OK, I might be able to build a similar setup, and see how to do this.
        Kevin Stanush

Comment

What I found is that EP won't add up the contents of the base directory used as a starting point, as you probably already know. It also won't show the sum of a directory and all of its sub-directories, only the total file sizes (matching any filter) for each directory.

What I did as a workaround to a situation where you have files both in the directory itself and sub-directories, was to create two different directory searches. You can put these into the same template. For example:

D$
          D$\MyDocuments

For D$, its important to set its options to just get the base directory
          For D$\MyDocuments, set it to get all sub-directories

The downside is that you will get D$\data, D$\etc, ie all directories on D$ too, but just the sizes of the root of each directory, so the output should be fairly small.
          Kevin Stanush

Comment

Working...
          X