32-bit vs 64-bit Reporting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32-bit vs 64-bit Reporting

I'm trying to export a list of the computers on my domain that not only identifies the OS (easy) but also at a more detailed level, whether it is a 32-bit install, or a 64-bit install. So far, no luck finding either an attribute or a class that will provide this information. Do you know if it's possible?

Thanks,
    Mary Elizabeth

The OSArchitecture property of the Win32_OperatingSystem class will give you this information. There is a list of the properties for this class here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/En-US/library/aa394239.aspx

That class is a default one in Hyena (Operating System), but that particular property may not be listed on the Query Attributes by default so find it in the right window and add it.

Comment

Thanks, that got me closer, I found the attributes I think I want, and you are correct, they are not included by default. However, they also don't show up in the right window, so I cannot add them. Am I missing something? I'm trying to add Win32_OperatingSystem / OperatingSystemSKU and OSArchitecture.

Comment

What OS are you running? The docs show those properties aren't available on 2003 and XP:

Comment

Interesting, I did see that those attributes did not show up for XP machines, but I was assuming that was referring to the target machine and whether or not it was running XP or Windows 7, etc. So if my own personal machine is still XP (an unhappy state of affairs, due to some legacy systems I still support), I won't be able to pull up those attributes in Hyena, on my machine?

Comment

I had to check with Development to verify this, but you should be able to right-click on a Windows 7 computer for example and see those properties. Hyena will use the target computer, or you can force it to retrieve from a specific computer by going to File > Manage Object View > WMI under Use WMI Interface From This Computer.

Comment

In the computer view, I right-click on a Windows 7 machine that I happen to know is 64-bit. Select WMI -> Execute Query and select Win32_OperatingSystem as the template. If I scroll down the list I can actually see OSArchitecture as one of the properties, but when I try to Execute the Query, I receive the error:

WMI HRESULT 0x80041017 => Invalid Query

Is that resolvable, or am I running into a limitation of my own local OS (XP)?

Comment

I don't have access to an XP system to test this, but if you remove the OSArchitecture property, can you run the Operating System query in this situation? Does it only fail when you add that property?

Comment

The answer appears to be yes. If I remove that attributes that are not available to Windows XP, the query executes without the error. So even though the target machine is Windows 7, it would appear that because my local machine is XP, I can't query for those attributes on a remote machine.

Comment

I was able to duplicate this. Even though the property isn't needed on the client side, WMI must be performing some sort of validation using the local system, and it rejects the query. I unfortunately don't see a workaround as its a WMI issue.
                    Kevin Stanush
                    SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

That's okay, I appreciate all the assistance. I know what I'm looking for, now, and as an extra added benefit, I'm using this as partial justification for systems upgrade. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                      X