Filter under Exporter Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter under Exporter Pro

I have tried to export all domain servers' share permissions through exporter pro. I have enabled computer filtering feature to only look for servers . But no matter what I did it always check for all computers and servers, thus created a huge output file. Anyone else has the same problems by filtering ?

Environment:Active directory with win2k dcs
    Hyena: 6.3
    export Pro:1.7

Re: Filter under Exporter Pro

Let us know exactly which options you have enabled on the Filtering dialog. You probably should only enable the PDC,BDC, and NT Server roles and leave everything else unchecked. If you select "Server" you will usually get nearly every computer that is has file and print sharing enabled.
    Kevin Stanush
    SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

Thank you for pointing out I should have picked NT servers under computer types not the servers under function. The output now looks much better.

Can it print out ntfs permission too by using files and directory tab ?

Comment

You first have to configure one (or more) file/directory exporting templates on the File/Directories export tab, then click on the Security tab and enable exporting the NTFS permissions.
        Kevin Stanush

Comment

Kevin, I'm exporting TCP/IP info for all the 'servers' in a given OU or domain. I've started with an OU to cut down the volume. Your hint below seems to work. I just wanted to confirm that it can't make the determination about the machine role without querying the machine itself. In other words, I'm assuming that the machine role is not stored in AD. If so, when I point this at my entire North American domain, it will take a long time querying the approx. 10,000 workstations just to find out they are not servers. Does this sound right? And if so, is there any way to accomplish this filtering using something inside AD?
          Thanks, Doug

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by kstanush:
          <span style="font-weight: bold">Let us know exactly which options you have enabled on the Filtering dialog. You probably should only enable the PDC,BDC, and NT Server roles and leave everything else unchecked. If you select "Server" you will usually get nearly every computer that is has file and print sharing enabled.</span></div></div>

Comment

The role is not stored in AD, and although one of the AD attributes might be different between a true server and a workstations, we do not have a mechanism to specify selection criteria on AD queries.

You have two options for getting just a certain set of computers without actually querying each computer:

1. If you enter/import a computer list, then you will only get those computers.

2. Or, you can use the Browse list computer retrieval option under the General settings. This will allow Exporter Pro to get the computer type without having to actually query each computer.

But, if you just use an AD query on a given OU, Exporter Pro would at most only query the computers in the OU subset to get the computer type.

Another option is to export this for all of your computers and filter the output later in Excel/Access. Include some attribute from AD in the output that would let you make that determination.
            Kevin Stanush

Comment

Working...
            X