searching for PSTs on users Local disk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• searching for PSTs on users Local disk

Trying to use Hyena 6.3 to locate PST files user have on their local drives. so far the only way I found I can do this is using a Custom tool with this command line cmd.exe /x /c "dir\\%E%\C$\*.pst" /s >outputfile.txt. this work fines. It creates a txt file for each PC it scans. Two problem really. The first is that you can only run that tool on 20 PCs at the same time. Not great if we have 1,000s of pc!! Also, there isn't any way of getting the results to go to the same file unless the cmd window closes after each scan -anyone know what I need to add the script to do that?

Re: searching for PSTs on users Local disk

For more than 20 objects you should use the Generate Macro function. This will create a batch file with one line per selected computer, and you can simply run the batch file from the Command Prompt. You won't need the cmd.exe /x /c part of your command.

Also, change the last part to >>outputfile.txt to append the information to that file.

Comment

Great thanks for the fast response!! Can you give me the full command line that you would use?

Comment

dir \\%E%\C$\*.pst /s >>c:\outputfile.txt

Comment

The latest version of Exporter Pro (v1.7), allows you to scan an entire directory tree or hard drive for any file specification, or list of files, etc.

This would be a better way to do this for a large number of computers.
          Kevin Stanush
          SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

Now that I have purchased a full copy oh Hyena 6.3 do I get that for free?

Comment

Yes, Exporter Pro is part of Hyena, and you would have the latest release.

The easiest way to configure this would be to display a few computers (as a test) in Hyena's right window, select a few of them, select Tools->Exporter Pro->Export Selected Objects. Then, click the Settings button and setup a file/directory export template. Turn off all other exports, then run the export on the selected computers.

Once you get it working the way you expect, you can run the same template on any number of selected computers.

Let us know if you have problems configuring the file/directory export template.
              Kevin Stanush
              SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

Thanks for that. Both solutions are giving the results I need but the Exporter Pro one is great for selecting more than 20 PCs at any time! :-)

Comment

Working...
                X