X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gene74
    • Apr 2024

Migrating Users from NT4 to Win2K

I need to migrate 300+ users from an NT4 box to a Win2k box. The NT4 box is a PDC, but I can not add active directory to the domain. After upgrading from NT4 to Win2k and then demoting the AD PDC to a member server, all the user accounts were deleted. Is there a way to export the user accounts from NT4 and then import them into Win2k?

Thank You.
  • kstanush
    Administrator
    • Sep 2000

Re: Migrating Users from NT4 to Win2K

If the NT 4 box is still holding the user accounts, you can easy copy them directly to any computer (NT/Windows 2000/XP). Just select the users in Hyena's right window and select Copy User(s) To... But if the users are already deleted, then they are gone from the server and nothing, including Hyena, can access them.
    Kevin Stanush
    SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

• gene74
      • Apr 2024

Great, thanks for the reply about the users. How about the directory permissions for the folders on the NT box? How do I transfer the permissions to the new win2k box that I built?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by kstanush:
      <span style="font-weight: bold">If the NT 4 box is still holding the user accounts, you can easy copy them directly to any computer (NT/Windows 2000/XP). Just select the users in Hyena's right window and select Copy User(s) To... But if the users are already deleted, then they are gone from the server and nothing, including Hyena, can access them.</span></div></div>

Comment

• cmccullough

You can use something like scopy.exe from the Resource Kit to do this.

Comment

• gene74
          • Apr 2024

Thanks for the scopy suggestion. I have a question about scopy. Will it really work properly (SID) when I transfer rights from a Domain User account to a stand alone server user account?

Comment

• cmccullough

Not sure, you will probably have to run a small test to see if it will or not.

Comment

Scopy will NOT move the correct SIS's you will have to recreate the uid's in the w2k box with permissions and rmtshare utils

Comment

Sorry that should have been SID's...typo

Comment

• gene74
                  • Apr 2024

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                  X