Computer Type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Type

How does Hyena distinguish between the different computer types?

Windows NT 4.0/5.0 PDC/BDC, Windows NT 4.0/5.0 (Terminal) Server, Windows NT 4.0/5.0 Workstation & Windows 95/98/Me Workstation.

When doe's it write <unknown> ?

/LR

Re: Computer Type

This information is retrieved from the Windows NT browse list. If a computer is not listed on the browse list you will see the Unknown computer type.

Typically these are the computers that are offline, or have been hidden from the browse list.

If a computer is online, but not listed on the browse list, you should still be able to manage it as long as it is accessable.

Comment

Is there a way that I can get this information from a batch file?

I want to write a script who detects if the computer is an server or workstation?

Like %OS% or %username%

/LR

Comment

You can use the command line version of Exporter located in the Hyena directory from a batch file.

It uses the browse list as well, though, so any offline or hidden computers won't show up.

Comment

That doesn't work for me.

The point is that I in the userlogonscript want to distinguish if it is a server or a workstation that the user is loggin on to locally.

/LR

Comment

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an environment variable for computer type.

The only thoughts I would have on this would be to set your own variable on each computer, like in the autoexec.bat or something, then read that variable from your login script.

You can use something like Kixtart to do this for you from your login script.

Comment

Resouce kit tool GETTYPE can you help.

see in the technet for un example.

Comment

Working...
              X