STRCM - TightVNC Error on Win 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STRCM - TightVNC Error on Win 7

Hi, our state agency IT dept is testing Hyena 8.8 and TightVNC on Windows 7 64 bit. STRCM installs the server with no problems, but when you type in the password and try to connect you get the error "Authentication reason: server is not configured properly" I have been banging my head trying to figure out why it won't connect. Is there some permissions in Win 7 I need to set maybe?? I read one of the other threads of the same problem and I tried what was posted but that did not work for me.
    We currently run Hyena 6.7 with Win XP and we are wanting to upgrade to 8.8, but upper management said I had to get the remote control to work on win 7 64bit before they would commit to buying it. My staff really likes your product and we sure need to upgrade to the new version so any help sure would be welcome.

Here is my RCM.

[General]
    SoftwareType=VNC
    Enabled=1
    MenuName=TightVNC 64
    AutoExecute=0
    [View]
    ViewerCommand=C:\Program Files\TightVNC\tvnviewer.exe %computer%
    SetOptionsBeforeViewing=1
    StartServiceBeforeViewing=1
    StopServiceAfterViewing=1
    AutoInstallBeforeViewing=1
    UnInstallAfterViewing=0
    AutoTerminateAfterViewing=0
    [Install]
    EULA=c:\program files\tightvnc\license.txt
    SourceDirectory=C:\Program Files\TightVNC\
    DestinationDirectory=\\%computer%\admin$\TightVNC\
    FileList=tvnserver.exe;screenhooks.dll
    RegistryKeyLocation=Software\TightVNC\Server
    InstallService=1
    ServiceNames=TightVNC
    ServiceAutoStart=0
    ServiceDisplayName=TightVNC
    ServiceExeName=tvnserver.exe
    [VNC Options]
    InstallServiceHelper=0
    [VNC Settings]
    PollForeground=1
    PollFullScreen=0
    PollUnderCursor=0
    OnlyPollConsole=1
    OnlyPollOnEvent=0
    SocketConnect=1
    PortNumber=5900
    AutoPortSelect=1
    InputsEnabled=1
    LocalInputsDisabled=0
    Disable TrayIcon=1
    IdleTimeout=0
    QuerySetting=2
    QueryTimeout=9

The information we have posted here is what we've found works in our testing and that of other customers:

http://www.systemtools.com/toolboard...TightVNC/page2

Your .RCM looks the same, so I can't make any suggestions at this time unfortunately.

Comment

OK so we purchased Hyena 9.0. I downloaded TightVNC 2.5.2 (Which is suppose to have alot of the bugs fixed). Well when strm installs tightvnc everything installs fine and starts the service. But when the password screen pops up and I enter the password I get an error(Authentication reason:Server is not configured properly). Now I can use Remote Desktop and connect to the PC. Then go to the directory where the Tightvnc server is located and double click the exe and start the server. Then I can right click the app in the system tray and click configure and it shows the password is not set. So then I can set the password and apply it and then run strm with tightvnc and it will connect as long as you are connected with Remote Desktop. When you log off Remote Desktop it stops the app from running in the system tray. Then tightvnc looses connection and you can not connect with strm. STRM is starting the service, because you can look at the services with Hyea and tightvnc service is running.
      So what I am having a problem is, when I install tightvnc with strm the password is not getting carried forward and when the service starts the app is not running.
      Anybody have a clue what I need to do???

Comment

I'm not having any luck with TightVNC 2.5.2 either. I reinstalled 2.0.4 and it works right away, so I'm sure yet what is different with this newer version.

Comment

Chuck I am finally getting to post again.(been busy). I installed 2.0.4 and it worked fine. One thing that has to be done is to start the remoteregistry service before you install with STRCM. I set my machines to Automatic. The only other problem is sending ctrl+alt+delete. But you can click on the ease of use icon and use the on-screen keyboard to send the command. Then you are good to go.

Comment

Thanks for the additional information!

Comment

TightVNC with Windows 7 working but needs registry tweaked.

Guys,

I have been working on this new version and have found some interesting information.... If you apply the registry information under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\TightVNC\server then it works. I have also disabled the keyvalue (UseVNCAuthentication=0) to disable the password requirement to see if that is the issue with the "Authentication reason:Server is not configured" By default this is being created in the Wow6432node on my windows 7 64 bit workstation. When I created the vnctight.rcm config how can I change the default location from Wow6432node to just under software? Here are my current VNC settings:

[VNC Settings]
              AutoPortSelect=1
              DisableTrayIcon=1
              EnableFileTransfers=1
              IdleTimeout=0
              InputsEnabled=1
              LocalInputsDisabled=0
              OnlyPollConsole=1
              OnlyPollOnEvent=0
              PollForeground=1
              PollFullScreen=0
              PollUnderCursor=0
              PortNumber=5900
              QuerySetting=2
              QueryAllowNoPass=1
              QueryTimeout=30
              RemoveWallpaper=0
              SocketConnect=1
              UseVNCAuthentication=0
              UseControlAuthentication=0
              UseMirrorDriver=1

Comment

I've tried a number of different configurations and I can't get mine to break. I had to create a firewall exception for port 5900, but everything else works whether I use the .rcm settings linked above or your changes that you've made.

What version of TightVNC are you using? What are the two OSes involved? Have you tried turning off the firewall?

Comment

Hello Chuck,

I currently do not have any firewall settings applied internal so I do not have an issue with the firewall. The version that I am using is the latest version [2.6.4.0 created 11/20/2012] My biggest hangup is the location of the registry file, how would I get the STRM installer to install to the key path software\tightvnc\server? currently it is going to the wow6432node and I have copied it to software\TightVNC\Server and removed the path to wow6432node and it works. The version that I am using of OS is Win7 64 and have also been able to load WinXP 32. This is what I have for the registry install location in my rcm file:

[Install]
                  EULA=vnc_eula.txt
                  SourceDirectory=
                  RegistryKeyLocation=Software\TightVNC\Serv {This is the path in question that is being created in the wow6432node and I want it to create in software}
                  DestinationDirectory=\\%computer%\admin$\system32\ rc
                  FileList=tvnserver.exe;screenhooks32.dll;screenhoo ks64.dll

Comment

TVNC 2.6.4 and Authentication on 2008R2

Hello,

im just started a new trial with TVN 2.6.4 and WIN2008R2.
                    I exported the Registrykey from my WIN7 PC (hklm/software/TightVNC) and imported it into the Server2008. Voila, it works.

It seems that the installation routine of STCRM does not copy the information which is asked for while configuring the service into the registry.
                    So, if import the hklm/software... manually i did the job wich STCRM should perform.

Can anyone confirm this ? Or am i wrong ?

Thanks a lot

Originally posted by jb_dmmi View Post
                    Hello Chuck,

I currently do not have any firewall settings applied internal so I do not have an issue with the firewall. The version that I am using is the latest version [2.6.4.0 created 11/20/2012] My biggest hangup is the location of the registry file, how would I get the STRM installer to install to the key path software\tightvnc\server? currently it is going to the wow6432node and I have copied it to software\TightVNC\Server and removed the path to wow6432node and it works. The version that I am using of OS is Win7 64 and have also been able to load WinXP 32. This is what I have for the registry install location in my rcm file:

[Install]
                    EULA=vnc_eula.txt
                    SourceDirectory=
                    RegistryKeyLocation=Software\TightVNC\Serv {This is the path in question that is being created in the wow6432node and I want it to create in software}
                    DestinationDirectory=\\%computer%\admin$\system32\ rc
                    FileList=tvnserver.exe;screenhooks32.dll;screenhoo ks64.dll

Comment

Yes, you can create them manually if you like, but STRCM should create them as well. The issue mentioned above is due to STRCM being a 32 bit application, and when writing to the registry on a 64 bit system, Windows will create those settings under the wow6432 node. We created a test version of STRCM with an option to force it to write to the 64 bit registry on 64 bit systems. This worked for jb_dmmi, so I'll email you the link to the test version so you can try it as well if you like.

Comment

Confirmation

Hi all
                        i want to confirm the "Server is not configued properly.."issue,
                        In some cases the Key will not be written.

This key worked or a WIN7 Workstation , Hyena 1.5.1, TightVNC 2.7.7 (caution: use your own password ) )

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\TightVNC]
                        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\TightVNC\S erver]
                        "Password"=*deleted*
                        "AutoPortSelect"=dword:00000001
                        "DisableTrayIcon"=dword:00000001
                        "EnableFileTransfers"=dword:00000001
                        "IdleTimeout"=dword:00000000
                        "InputsEnabled"=dword:00000001
                        "LocalInputsDisabled"=dword:00000000
                        "OnlyPollConsole"=dword:00000001
                        "OnlyPollOnEvent"=dword:00000000
                        "PollForeground"=dword:00000001
                        "PollFullScreen"=dword:00000000
                        "PollUnderCursor"=dword:00000000
                        "PortNumber"=dword:0000170c
                        "QuerySetting"=dword:00000002
                        "QueryAllowNoPass"=dword:00000001
                        "QueryTimeout"=dword:0000001e
                        "RemoveWallpaper"=dword:00000000
                        "SocketConnect"=dword:00000001
                        "UseVNCAuthentication"=dword:00000001
                        "UseControlAuthentication"=dword:00000001
                        "UseMirrorDriver"=dword:00000001

Regards
                        Wolfgang
                        Originally posted by cmccullough View Post
                        Yes, you can create them manually if you like, but STRCM should create them as well. The issue mentioned above is due to STRCM being a 32 bit application, and when writing to the registry on a 64 bit system, Windows will create those settings under the wow6432 node. We created a test version of STRCM with an option to force it to write to the 64 bit registry on 64 bit systems. This worked for jb_dmmi, so I'll email you the link to the test version so you can try it as well if you like.

Comment

I'm not following what the problem is. What information is not written given the settings posted above ? Are there any errors ? And are you running the 32 or 64-bit version of the strcm and what version is the remote client ?
                          Kevin Stanush
                          SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by missioncritical View Post
                            I'm not following what the problem is. What information is not written given the settings posted above ? Are there any errors ? And are you running the 32 or 64-bit version of the strcm and what version is the remote client ?
                            Hello,
                            it should just be a confirmation of the solution.
                            I run 32 Bit Hyena with 32 bit STRCM, remote Client is 64bit WIN7 with TVNC 2.7.7.
                            Regards Wolfgang

Comment

Working...
                            X