Viewing Windows 2012 R2 Event Logs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viewing Windows 2012 R2 Event Logs

Using Hyena 11.0 - for some time I've noticed it takes some time to expand the Events on a 2012 R2 server. Many times I get a message "Error retrieving EVTX event log channels on <server> The remote procedure call failed. I've been able to use the native Management tools in Windows 8.1 to bring up the logs but would love to get to the bottom of the quirky behavior. Anyone seen this before?
    Attached Files

This error indicates that the function to get a listing of the event channels is failing. Let us know if the server name is display as a DNS or Netbios name as that could be a source of the problem. Without a list of the event channels, Hyena will have no way of showing the events. It also would help to know what o/s the remote computer is running and also what the client o/s is. When you use the native tools in 8.1 to view the logs, are you doing this remotely, or connecting to another computer through RDP or another connection to view the logs ?
    Kevin Stanush
    SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

The server name is displayed as a DNS name. The remote server is running 2012 R2 and the client is 8.1. I'm right-clicking on My Computer > Manage and then connecting to the server to view the logs.

Comment

And when you use the Computer Management snapin to connect to the remote computer, are you typing in a DNS or Netbios name ?
        Kevin Stanush

Comment

I'm typing in a NetBIOS name. I tried with a DNS name and saw that it was much slower, like in Hyena. I went ahead and uncheced the AD / User DNS Computer Paths box and now it is faster.

Comment

OK, that is where I was going. Hyena will use either Netbios or DNS depending on that setting. The error could be returned based on Windows just not finding it by that name. So if you get an error in Hyena with the Netbios name, then see if it works in MMC. It could be you were just using a different protocol from one to the other.

DNS, technically, should be faster than Netbios but it all depends on what your DNS servers are, etc.

There is another API prior to the function we are using to get the Event Channels, so its hard to say which is causing the performance problem, but what is strange is that the first function to connect to the server does not get an error, as it is also given the server name.
            Kevin Stanush

Comment

Working...
            X