AD domain controllers do show descriptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD domain controllers do show descriptions

On the left pane, under the "Domain Controllers" object, when I click on the + sign to expand the list of DCs, none of them have any description (should be just to the right of the DC name). This is an Windows 2000 AD native domain. In contrast, the DCs in the NT4 domain do display with their description.

Just an observation. I can send you a screen shot if you'd like. Thank you for looking into this.

Re: AD domain controllers do show descriptions

The Microsoft function that Hyena uses to get a list of AD DC names does not give the description. If we were to retrieve this for each DC, it would really slow things down.

For NT, Hyena uses the Windows browse list, and thereby gets the description from the information on the browse list.

What I can do in the next beta is attempt to access the cached browse list information maintained in Hyena and see about merging in the description. Thanks for pointing out this limitation.
    Kevin Stanush
    SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

I spoke too soon...we don't keep the comment from the browse list. And, we only cache the most recently accessed domain, so that too would not work too well.

An alternative is to manage the DCs from the Domain Controllers container, whereby you can get the description next to the name. The 'comment', however, is a browse list item that is not part of AD and generally should be just copied into the AD description field. Finally, you can just turn off the Domain Controllers object under the domain item itself under Object Manager->Nodes.
      Kevin Stanush
      SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Opening the DC container will work fine for us to view the description.

Comment

Working...
        X