Monitoring Open Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitoring Open Files

I need to give a user the ability to check files that are open on a W2K server. Now the problem is they don't and can't have admin rights which I believe are required to perform this function.

So I've come up with a very "pie in the sky" idea. Would it be possible or does anyone know of a product that will run on a server and output a list of open files to a HTML file which can then be published on a webserver? Yes I realise this is a bit of a dream but if they process creating the HTML file had sufficient rights it would be able to read the open files and then create the output?

Am I dreaming or does anyone else think this may be possible? Alternatively does anyone have a solution that will allow this non-admin user to view open files?

Thanks

Robert

Re: Monitoring Open Files

Ok, so thinking about it I could use net file on the server. However it cuts some of the file path out of the middle so does anyone know of a similar program that will show the entire path?

Thanks

Comment

Re: Monitoring Open Files

Try:
      http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr.../pstools.shtml

You may have to run this as a scheduled job on your server and output it to a file and then publish that. You have to be an admin or server operator to get a listing of open files.
      Kevin Stanush
      SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

Working...
      X