Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Directory Mask in Templates

Hi All,

I have a number of Hyena templates that I have been using for some time to create user Home and TS Home directories. I am now looking into rolling out Hyena to our Helpdesk so they can handle the setup of user ID's. The problem is that only corporate is permitted to actually CREATE ID's, we are only allowed to modify them. As a result, we cant use the Home Directory Mask feature when running a template because we are modifying an existing user rather than creating a new one. That means that we have to enter the full path and drive letter manually for the template to then run and create the directory. As you can imagine, I am worried that the helpdesk will make a mistake and type in the wrong path. Would it be possible to have Hyena configurable to allow the update of the Home Directory Mask even if modifying an existing user?

Cheers!

Re: Home Directory Mask in Templates

The Home Directory Mask is only used to populate that field when creating a new user. Copying or modifying existing users will work with whatever is in that field already. The only way to trigger the home directory creation process under those scenarios is to make a change to the home directory fields on the Profile tab.

The only recommendation would be to consider having the home directory created when the user is initially created. Otherwise they will have to type in that path.

Comment

Unfortunately, because corporate is creating the ID's in their own way, I cant have them use Hyena. They will just do it the way that they want to. I guess I was hoping that perhaps an upcoming release could have the capability to use the mask regardless of whether its a new user or not. Kind of like the feature change with setting the Ownership on a Home folder in the Template. It wont overwrite the ownership unless a registry key is added. Is this a possibility do you think?

[This message has been edited by kimboaticus (edited 03-15-2006).]

Comment

I can't add a feature that overwrites an existing settings, like a home directory, as there isn't any way to control the action. I've thought about adding a button on the Profile dialog so that you can click the button and select a template, which would then overwrite any existing home directory settings, and then once you click OK, it would apply the security in the template.

But I can only do this if I feel that this option would not cause confusion or other unintended problems.

I suggest joining the beta list in case we implement this in the next release. To join the beta, send a blank email to [email protected]

Thank you for the suggestion.
        Kevin Stanush
        SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

Already a member of the beta group. I look forward to testing this functionality.

Comment

This has been added to the current beta. Let me know if you find any problems.

Thanks
            Kevin Stanush
            SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

I have been testing this functionality and it works great! Thanks very much.

Comment

Working...
              X