Home Directory Creation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Directory Creation

Love the idea that I can automate home directory creation, however I'd like to leave out assingning a drive letter - we map it with login scripts and don't want to put a letter in the template. Any way to get around this?

Re: Home Directory Creation

Question, why would you rely on login scripts to map a drive? It is not as solid as a home directory mapping with an NT account. Just simply remove the home directory from your logon script and use NT the way it was made.

Comment

We use a product called Scriptlogic to automate all our logon / desktop management actions. This includes the mapping of drives for each users. I would like to create user directories - both shares and folders without the need to add a drive letter to the template. If I had this one feature, it would remove the need to add Home folder information to the user object in order to use the template features of Hyena. A great, great admin tool I use all the time, except for this one feature.

Comment

The problem with allowing a blank drive letter when creating a user is that I noticed that MMC does not allow this, and we try to adhere to some standards. If we allowed a missing drive letter, less sophisticated users might create users without drive mappings and then we have support problems.

I don't know what would happen if you tried to manually modify the template to have a 'space' character for a drive letter, and what that would do. Or, if you were to assign a drive letter and then remove it in your logon script and replace it with whatever you wanted.
        Kevin Stanush
        SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

I did try a space or the special character for a blank (Alt + somthing, I forget) and they both didn't seem to work. I'm going to have to stick with our Scriptlogic method as it gives us the ability to do alot of extras in the mapping of user drives. I'm working on a vb script method to automate the user home drive folder / share creation that should do what we need. I was just hoping we could've used Hyena for this task. I'm so plugged into Hynea for 98% of what I do as an admin that it would be nice to add that to it.

Comment

Working...
          X