Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

%username% not working

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • %username% not working

    Hi,
    I just d/l the demo version of Hyena. I went to create home dir and profile dir. I changed the profile of 50 users to \\server\profiles\%username% and it worked great, changing the username to the username like it should. But when I set the home dir to c:\profiles\%username% (which is correct and works if it input it manually into AD), then go to see if it has changed, and both hyena and AD show the actualy work %username%, the replacement isn't being made. Any ideas? Thanks!

  • #2
    Re: %username% not working

    Hyena won't parse that in the Local Path at this time. We will consider looking closer at this for a possible future release.

    Comment


    • #3
      %username% in AD Profile Home directory path does not work

      Hello. Is it possible to get clarification on this post? I have 2500 users whose Home drives will move from location A to location B. In Hyena I select a portion of these and then right-click in the Home Drive column and select "Modify Home Directory". I then enter a path as follows: \\servername\sharename\%username%. However, Hyena throws an error stating "Unable to retrieve 'username' attribute value for replacement", even though the use of this variable works everytime via the MS AD tools console.

      In searching this forum, I see references to selecting the users and then choosing "Properties", which then does allow me to modify the Home folder profile path using that variable for multiple users. However - the BIG problem here is that running Properties against even a small amount of users takes an enormous amount of time while it enumerates each and every attribute for each and every user. All I want to do is change the Home drive path via the right-click "Modify Home Directory" method (which enumerates only that attribute in significantly less time) and works for virtually all other attributes.

      Is this at all possible using the %username% variable? This post I am replying to is from 2002 with a note that you would look into adding this for a future release. I am running v9.2C and it does not seem to be working for me. Am I doing something wrong?

      Many thanks!

      -Will


      Originally posted by cmccullough View Post
      Hyena won't parse that in the Local Path at this time. We will consider looking closer at this for a possible future release.

      Comment


      • #4
        That function uses variables in a different way, in that you can pull the value from any attribute. For this example you could use either %name% for the Directory Name, or you could use %samaccountname% for the Pre-W2K Name attribute. Just determine which AD attribute you want to use and plug it in.

        Comment


        • #5
          The other thing to keep in mind is that this is only modifying that AD attribute, and is NOT creating the actual directory like using the right-click Properties method does.

          Comment


          • #6
            On the performance issue, go to File -> Manage Object View -> Objects, click on your domain and verify that the ADSI Path is in FQDN format such as ldap://systemtools.com. If it isn't change it and then try viewing properties on a selection of users again.

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks a lot - worked perfectly using %samaccountname% in the path (e.g. \\servername\sharename\%samaccountname% . Exactly what I needed and actually adds a lot more flexibility that way versus the more generic %username%. And very helpful to know it won't create a new folder in that location (which ADUC complains about anytime a Home path update is performed). In our case, the folders already exist along with their ACL security - we are just moving them to a new filer.

              Thanks a bunch for the same-day response - as always - Hyena rocks!

              Cheers,

              Will


              Originally posted by cmccullough View Post
              On the performance issue, go to File -> Manage Object View -> Objects, click on your domain and verify that the ADSI Path is in FQDN format such as ldap://systemtools.com. If it isn't change it and then try viewing properties on a selection of users again.

              Comment

              Working...
              X