Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Dipslay of shell properties, win 7 64bit

V8.6 of Hyena has a fix for this issue. If anyone else runs into this issue prior to the release of v8.6 you can contact Support at [email protected].

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

When you select multiple users, Hyena uses it's own dialogs not shell properties.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

FYI - Noticed something new, if I select several users>right click>select properties i recieve the dialog box.

Leave a comment:

• kstanush
    replied

We don't know what can be causing this. The error seems to indicate that the Microsoft COM-based interface is either not able to work from this account, or one of the property pages (perhaps a property page extension) is returning an error. As far as I know though, all of the COM registration stuff is not user specific as its all in the registry under HKLM.

While Hyena runs under the account that you launch it under, its unclear if the shell properties interface code (Microsoft's part) runs that way, as it is implemented in a Microsoft .dll file.

Hyena also has as an option its own internal authentication mechanism for AD, which is accessed through the domain level (left window), Set Authentication Credentials. Once entered, Hyena will use this information on all AD object access requests, including the shell properties. Unfortunately, this information is not saved, so when you close Hyena, its lost.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

3rd time is a charm!
    I normally run Hyena using an elevated account, using run as. In the test I have run the application using local administrator, w/elevated account and my local account
    • Using the elevated account, encountered an error trying to display User properties:
    o Unable to display shell property sheet. Result = 2147467262
    LDAP:\\*fill in the blank* <Null> HRESULT 0x80004002 => No such interface supported
    • Using my standard and local administrator account they display normally but access is limited, this is to be expected.
    • I also set the properties of the application link compatibility>Change settings for all users>Run this program as an administrator. I have also played with the compatibility mode with no improvement.
    • I have verified I was selecting Shell Properties.
    • I have verified RSAT is installed in both my standard account and also under my elevated profile.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Finally had some more time for testing. I used three different profiles, my standard account, my elevated account, and also as administrator.
    • Group properties display normally using all three profiles.
    • Verified using Shell Properties in all three profiles
    • Computer shell properties display correctly using all three profiles
    • Tested using Administrator and also changing the properties>compatibility>change settings for all users>privilege level>run this program as an administrator. I also played with compatibility with no avail.
    • I have tried to reinstall the RSAT while logged on with my elevated account. I received a message that the update was already installed.
    • I am running Hyena using a local workstation running a New install of Win7 x64, logged on using my standard account. I have also logged on using my elevated account with no change in results.
    Note: when I run using my standard account and the administrator account I get an initial error message “Unable to access RAS information for user XXXX on ADSDC02 Access Deniedâ€‌ when I click OK the user properties are displayed. Access denied would be a normal error message using these accounts as they do not have the access my elevated account has.
    Note: this all works correctly in XP

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Sorry for the delay in responding. Can you update us as to what exactly you have at this point? Can you test the points that kstanush asked above to see if anything there can help narrow it down a bit?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Kstanush,

Have you been able to find out anything? I am out of ideas as to what is causing the problem.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Still working on a solution.
    • I have tried to reinstall the RSAT while logged on with my elevated account. I received a message that the update was already installed.
    • While logged in, with the elevated account, I rand Hyena with the same results.
    • I have verified my elevated account is in the local admin group, it have full control of the application under program files.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I found the problem with one of your suggestions. Basically I run this application using “Run as a different userâ€‌ I then key in my elevated OU account. This elevated account does have full control of the application along with my standard account. It is also in the local administrators group of the machine.

When I “Run as administratorâ€‌ it works, run with my standard account it also works correctly although on both accounts I have limited access to the OU’s, this is as expected.

Needless to say, it’s a permissions thing.

Leave a comment:

• kstanush
    replied

Sure, just let me know. My concern as that there might be a unique user property page extension object or something that is giving an error, causing the whole property sheet to not display. Let me know if you have any non-standard sheet extensions, or just post the titles of the user property sheet tabs from MMC and I can spot any unique ones.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I will test your ideas after I get done with lunch. This is starting to sound like a Monday project and you all are closed today. Enjoy the day and we can attack this Monday morning if you like.

Leave a comment:

• kstanush
    replied

Well, hopefully we can come up with some ideas, as I'm about out of 'em at the moment.

To make sure you are looking at the shell/MMC properties:

- For a group, hold the Shift key down when right clicking on the group. Or, change the default setting for the group properties to use the 'shell interface' under Tools->Settings->AD.

- For a container, the shell properties are always used; for an OU, make sure you select Shell Properties and not just Properties.

- For a computer, select Directory Functions->Shell Properties.

Also, just for testing, try running as an Administrator, ie right click on the Hyena shortcut and select Run As Administrator, to see if this changes the error any.

The error is unfortunately triggered by any failure in our shell properties interface, so
    do I do need to know if the other shell interfaces work/don't work.

Also, I am not 100% sure if the RSAT install is an 'all users' install, or specific to each user. When you are running ADU&C are you using the same user account ? And are you running Hyena through a terminal server/RDP session to the server, or locally ?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

It is running in the Hyena_x64.exe.

Computer properties are visible
    Universal groups,
    Contacts,
    OU’s are all visible

verified installation of RSAT

Impressive tech support!!!!

Leave a comment:

• kstanush
    replied

Also, did you install the RSAT package to get the ADU&C snapin installed ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X