• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scooter
    • Mar 2024

Error Setting Password LDAP://...... The Network path was not found

Hi Folks,

I have a multi site Wan environment with mulitple AD's etc. When changing passwords I often get the following error.

Error setting password for 'username' on
    LDAP://servername/OU=Main,OU=users,OU=Location,DC=server,DC=Site,DC= Location. The network path was not found. This seems to occur intermittently.

Is this a timeout issue contacting the DC ??? Any ideas muchly appreciated.

Thanks

Scott
  • cmccullough

Re: Error Setting Password LDAP://...... The Network path was not found

When you get these errors is it always the same server? If that server is across the WAN, there might be a timeout of some sort involved, but this would be from Windows not Hyena.

One thing you might try is going to File->Manage Object View, clicking on your domain, and adding an ADSI Server entry for a computer that is on your local network.

Comment

• scooter
      • Mar 2024

Its pretty much consistent to 6 out of the 8 AD sites. The user I am using to logon has Domain admin rights to each AD. Keep in mind that I can unlock accounts open up user details and even create delete account swithout error. It only seems to produce LDAP errors on the password reset, which of course is what we use it most for !! I have set a ADSI server for each AD which definately sped up browsing etc of users. However the LDAP errors still persist.

Thanks

Scott

Comment

• kstanush
        Administrator
        • Sep 2000

There seems to be a lot of problems on the disscusion boards about a failure of the command that Hyena uses to change the password: IADsUser::SetPassword. This is the only command (naturally) that we can use to change the password.

There are only two lines of code that get executed to change the password, so it not much to debug. Since it works sometimes, you may want to check the DNS settings for one of the sites or the domain controller that you are working through. Hyena also uses the SetPassword function when an account is created, so I'd be curious if this too is causing a problem. But in that case, the account is created (disabled and without a password), then the password is set on the account. Since the server accepts creating the account and hands back a handle to the account, it would make sense that the same computer/user handle would work with setting the password.

To change the password, Hyena just binds to the user object, and calls SetPassword. There is probably a lot of things that go on in that function, but that is only known to Microsoft.

Let me know if you find anything.
        Kevin Stanush
        SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

• scooter
          • Mar 2024

You were right creating users does fail. When it is setting the password. Do you think this could be a permissions problem with the accounts resetting passwords ? Is the password issue resoveable or is it down to a Windows "feature"

Comment

• kstanush
            Administrator
            • Sep 2000

Try to determine if there is anything different between the sites where it does work vs. the computer that it fails on. I would think that if permissions were involved, the error would be different. I would focus on DNS and any settings that are different between the sites where it works.

Let me know what you find.
            Kevin Stanush

Comment

• scooter
              • Mar 2024

Hi,

I am still having this issue with v. 4.5C Has there been any further updates on this issue. I have verified all DNS and AD settings I cannot seem to find any obvious differences between sites that do work and sites that dont. Just to recap I am recieving the error.

Error setting password for 'user' on LDAP://DC Ip Address/CN=User, OU=General Users, Ou=Users, OU=Location,DC=admin, DC=Site, DC=local. The network path was not found.

Thanks

Scott

Comment

• kstanush
                Administrator
                • Sep 2000

We have not done anything with this issue, as we don't know where to start. I'll open a support incident with Microsoft and give them our code that we use to reset the password and see what they can see.

Please verify that I can pass along your contact information (email address) to Microsoft if they have any questions to you. Also, verify that you can reset the password using MMC.

Thanks
                Kevin Stanush

Comment

• scooter
                  • Mar 2024

Hi,

Yes indeed please pass my details on to Microsoft if this will help in any way.

Thanks

Scott

Comment

• doorwayboy
                    • Mar 2024

Was a solution ever found to this?
                    I'm having the same problem with both 5.0 and 5.2. It creates the user as a disabled account and fails setting the password. When I try to go in and change the password, it gives me the same error. The server is local, but our AD domain is worldwide with many DC's.

Thanks

Comment

• kstanush
                      Administrator
                      • Sep 2000

I opened a case with Microsoft and forwarded information to the poster above, but have not recieved a reply back and Microsoft closed the case. Let me know if you want to try the test(s) that Microsoft asked me to have the customer perform and I'll forward the scripts to you to try (it should be fairly easy). I'll then see if I can reopen the case. Its a perflexing issue that is not something that Hyena can control, but we would like to know what has to be changed for it to work.
                      Kevin Stanush

Comment

• kstanush
                        Administrator
                        • Sep 2000

In addition to performing the tests that Microsoft requested, I'd be curious what the output would be from Microsoft's new tool located here:
                        Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

run this tool with the command:

dnslint /d domain.name.com
                        Kevin Stanush

Comment

• doorwayboy
                          • Mar 2024

We've narrowed this down to a DNS issue with our DC. If it helps you,
                          incase someone else ever has this same problem, here's what was going
                          on. Our dc is on another domain from what we're using right now. We
                          were able to talk to the server through pinging it, browsing to it, and
                          whatever we needed, so we thought everything was fine. it turns out
                          that we were unable to talk to it when we fully qualified the name,
                          which we never really needed to do. once we fixed our dns to talk to
                          the new domain correctly the problem went away. It looks like some
                          functions resolve fine with the simple name of this machine, but others
                          were only trying the fully qualified name and failing.

Thanks again for your help,
                          -Andy

Comment

Working...
                          X