File and print share disabled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File and print share disabled

We are rolling out w2k and XP boxes with File and print sharing disbled. Hyena can't see them. Work around?

Re: File and print share disabled

Do you see them listed when you double-click on the Computers object for your domain?

If so, what happens if you try to administer one from there?

Comment

Boxes that are in the domain are grey, and if you try anthing with them, you are told that RPC service is unavailable. We have Server service turned off in NT 4.0 and File and print shares turned off in w2k and xp.

Comment

You won't be able to manage them with Hyena without these services. You might be able to remote control them with VNC or something, but I'm not sure that these wouldn't require those services as well.

Comment

So what your saying is that if we want secure workstations we can't use Hyena anymore? There are a lot of companies that are modifying their products to support security. For example we use Radmin for secure remote control, and Winternals Defragmanager both of these work without file and print share and server service turned off. What I was looking for was a way to have Hyena or something turn on my server service to all my workstations tempoarily so I could make cahnges then turn it off again. I love hyena please modify it!!

Comment

Unfortunately this is not something that Hyena has control over. Hyena merely issues the appropriate API calls, and its up to Windows to do the rest.

For these functions to work, I'm pretty sure you are going to have to at least have the Server Service and RPC Service running.

Comment

Working...
            X