Domain Local Groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Local Groups

I have created a "Domain Local Group" within Hyena. When I go to grant the new local group rights to s folder, the new group does not appear in my selection window. However, if I create a "Domain Global Group", the new group does appear. Any thoughts?

Thanks,Ralph

Re: Domain Local Groups

On what computer are you trying to add this group to the file permissions? This will only be available on the domain controllers.

Comment

I've tried on my machine and the on the server that contains the folder I want to share. So I guess I need to browse to the server\folder from a BDC and share it that way?
      I'll give it a try.

Thanks,
      Ralph

Comment

Actually, if the machine that the folder resides on is not one of the domain controllers, this group can't be added.

In NT, a local group can only be used on the computer it is created on. The only exception is Domain Local Groups, which can be used on any of the controllers. This is because they all essentially have the same SAM database.

Comment

I am talking about Domain Local Groups....for some reason, none of the Domain Local groups show up in my drop-down list to add users/groups to a share. The Global Domain Groups do, though.

Comment

Send the following information to [email protected]:

Screen shot showing the group types that you can choose. Also, verify for us that the computer with the files is a domain controller.

Version of Hyena
            Version of Windows on your computer
            Version of Windows for the domain

Comment

I've figured the issue out. Apparently, Domain Local Group works differntly for NT and 2000. By browsing to the desired folder from an NT server/ws, you have the option to search for names that do not appear in the "Names From" listbox. Upon a search, my groups were found and I could use them, but they'll never just show up in the list when adminstrating a 2000 server.

Thanks for you help, feel free to pass this along to your tech support people.

Thanks,
              Ralph

Comment

Working...
              X