Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Integrate TightVNC

Happy Holidays Guys,

Question... Could you tell me how I would go about adding a new version of TightVNC so that I can remote Win7 workstations both 32-bit and 64-bit? I did go out to the TightVNC site and see that there is a version that supports Win7 (both 32-64) and would like to add this to Hyena.

Thanks,

John

Re: Integrate TightVNC

The STRCM utility used by Hyena for remote control works off of .RCM files to tell it what files to copy, and where to put them.

In Hyena go to Tools->Settings->Remote Control and edit the TightVNC control file. You can see how it works, and from there you will need to find out if the file names and/or locations have changed with the newer version of TightVNC. If they have just modify that configuration file accordingly.

Comment

Please post your findings here when you get it figured out. We've yet to have anyone report back what they did to get remote control working with Windows 7 and VNC or TightVNC. We've heard of customers finding a solution other than TightVNC and VNC, but haven't gotten any specifics other than the name of the product.

Comment

Ok guys I got this figured out. Take a look at my .rcm file and make sure that when you apply the changes. (I have applied my changes to my local Hyena for simplicity). I have also changed the location of the destination file to the windows root; you can leave it in the same location if you like but I wanted it moved. Follow the .rcm and DO NOT change the name of the new .exe file.The .dll file that comes with the TightVNC install can be changed. (I think it is named screenshook.dll) This has worked for me on Win7 64BIT and WinXP 32BIT. What I need to do now is remove all the old installs with the new information so that the registy & service gets updated.

========================
        [General]
        SoftwareType=VNC
        Enabled=1
        MenuName=TightVNC
        AutoExecute=0

[View]
        ViewerCommand=vncviewer.exe %computer%
        SetOptionsBeforeViewing=1
        StartServiceBeforeViewing=1
        StopServiceAfterViewing=1
        AutoInstallBeforeViewing=1
        UnInstallAfterViewing=0
        AutoTerminateAfterViewing=0

[Install]
        EULA=vnc_eula.txt
        RegistryKeyLocation=Software\TightVNC\Server
        SourceDirectory=C:\Program Files\Hyena
        DestinationDirectory=\\%computer%\admin$\TightVNC\
        FileList=tvnserver.exe;VNChooks.dll

InstallService=1
        ServiceNames=WinVNC
        ServiceAutoStart=0
        ServiceDisplayName=WinVNC
        ServiceExeName=tvnserver.exe

[VNC Options]
        InstallServiceHelper=1

[VNC Settings]
        PollForeground=1
        PollFullScreen=0
        PollUnderCursor=0
        OnlyPollConsole=1
        OnlyPollOnEvent=0
        SocketConnect=1
        PortNumber=5900
        AutoPortSelect=1
        InputsEnabled=1
        LocalInputsDisabled=0
        RemoveWallpaper=0
        DisableTrayIcon=1

IdleTimeout=0
        QuerySetting=2
        QueryTimeout=9
        ==================================
        End file

Thanks,

John

Comment

I'm very happy to see this! Unfortunately I'm not having the same luck as you. I set this up on my system exactly as you've outlined but when I try to connect to a Win 7 box I get unable to connect to server.

Did you run into that at any point?

Comment

Hello Guys and Happy Holidays to you,

To answer your question yes I did get the unable to connect to the server error and found this to be an issue. If the system you are trying to connect to currently has TightVNC installed it will try to use the old config. Go into the registy and remove the old key folder then remove all old install files and run the install again.

Thanks,

John

Comment

Interesting, I used the Uninstall option in STRCM, then did a View (which installed again), and it worked. Ran several tests and it works every time now.

This will hopefully be a solution for others as well.

Thank you very much for the info!

Comment

I tried this and was able to install and remote control a Windows 7 32 bit machine, but once installed, any user that logs on gets a pop-up window called "TightVNC Server Usage Help" that shows the syntax for running tvnserver.exe. Click OK and the window goes away, but this would cause help desk calls from users wondering what it was for. In the registry under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinVNC I see a value name of "ImagePath" and the data for that is ["C:\Windows\system32\rc\tvnserver.exe" -service]. The switch "-service" does not appear to be a valid switch according to the usage screen that pops up on logon. Anyone else seeing this? The TightVNC version I'm using is 2.0.4 which appears to be the latest.

Comment

What are the usage options you see on that popup? Are you leaving TightVNC installed on the remote computers? Is that the reason users are seeing that when they login?

Comment

tvnserverhelp.jpg
                    This it the pop-up usage window. I configured my rcm file as outlined by jb_dmmi above. I believe the culprit is the "Run" key under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion. There was an entry to run tvnserver.exe with the "-server" switch. Does STRCM put that in during the install phase? After deleting that entry the pop-up went away.

Comment

I'm checking now to see where this comes from.
                      Kevin Stanush
                      SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

Found it! In the RCM file under "[VNC Options]" is the line "InstallServiceHelper=1". This adds the the data under the "Run" key for the value "WinVNC" of "C:\WINDOWS\system32\rc\winvnc.exe" -servicehelper. "-servicehelper" is not a valid switch for tvnserver.exe. I thought it was just "-serverice" because I wasn't seeing the whole value (damn scrollbar!). If you set the value of "InstallServiceHelper" to 0, you don't get the entry under the "Run" key in the registry. Apparently this is a valid key for the older version of the service executable, WinVNC.exe. My confusion was why was it fine for others, but I was getting a pop-up. Maybe they were already set to not install the service helper?

Comment

Yes, you are right. The InstallServiceHelper setting will force in the Run setting. That setting does not work with TightVNC.

Is everything else working right with TightVNC installed through the STRCM/Hyena ?
                          Kevin Stanush

Comment

We should be good now. I just need to do some testing with the new version to see how it behaves with an XP system that already has the older version of TightVNC installed. Is there any documentation that explains what all the options are in the RCM config file? Now I'm wondering if there may be other settings I should tweak because I'm using TightVNC.

Comment

I too will be doing some testing tonight with Windows 7 and Windows 2008 and TightVNC to see if I can find any issues. The settings are all documented in the strcm.htm file (or should be).
                              Kevin Stanush

Comment

Working...
                              X