No announcement yet.

Can't access printers on Win 7 systems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't access printers on Win 7 systems.

I am using Hyena ver. 8.1 and everyone of the win 7 systems that I have deployed I cannot open printers to look or add them. Keeps giving me the error 1722. The rpc server is unavailable. I was also getting this when trying to access the registry but found out you had to start the remote registry service. I cannot figure out what service to start that will allow me to open the printers.

Re: Can't access printers on Win 7 systems.

What OS do you have Hyena installed on? 32 bit or 64 bit version of Hyena? Are your Win 7 boxes 32 bit or 64 bit?

Comment

I am running it on win 7 32bit. The others are the same win 7 32bit.

[This message has been edited by TiogaCountyIT (edited 01-24-2011).]

Comment

The 1722 error is a communications error of some sort. The only thing I can think of would be to verify that File and Print Sharing is enabled on these computers, and they aren't being blocked by the Windows Firewall.

You might also try the WMI->Printers query to see if you can view them that way.

Comment

I just tried the WMI printers and It works fine but whenever I try the printers I keep getting the same error. My account that i am using is a domain admin so i should be able to view this info. Argh driving me crazy.

Comment

I tried the WMI->Printers and that worked fine. I am looking into the file and Print Sharing being enabled.

Comment

Probably either File and Printer sharing, or a firewall issue. The Printers object in Hyena uses the Microsoft EnumPrinters API which uses the RPC protocol (which is used by a lot of functions). The File and Printer sharing is mis-named a bit as it also enables RPC communication with the computer.

WMI uses a separate process running on your computer to get the information and return it to a client, and it uses DCOM, which is a different protocol. That is why WMI works and the Printers enumeration does not.
              Kevin Stanush
              SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

Checked the File and Print sharing and it is enabled on one of the machines I cannot view printers. Still won't let me in. We are getting more new systems with Win 7 and Hyena is very valuable to us. I know it probably is something I am missing but still driving me crazy.

Comment

As a test, disable the firewall on the system that is having the issue and see if the problem goes away. If so, then check the firewall exceptions on a computer that does not have this problem to see what the differences are.
                  Kevin Stanush

Comment

Sorry should have said before we turn off the firewall. One interesting point is that I can view the printers within Hyena on my system which is where Hyena is installed?

Comment

So what is the error that you get ? Also, make sure you are using the 'run as administrator' option to ensure that security is not the issue.
                      Kevin Stanush

Comment

I get "Unable to list printers on \\IT-12345, Error=1722. The RPC server is unavailable" I am running Hyena with a domain admin account.

Comment

See if you can go to a command prompt and type something like:

dir \\server\c$

And, try some of the commands listed on this KB article:
                          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323790
                          Kevin Stanush

Comment

I was able to log onto the admin shares on the Win 7 systems without any problems.

Comment

But what about the commands in that KB article ?
                              Kevin Stanush

Comment

Working...
                              X