Pull startup registry values

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pull startup registry values

I use Sysinternals autoruns to view the local startup information on my PC.

I'd like to create a new export for Exporter Pro using the Registry option to pull the startup information. As a test I entered HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run for Registry Key paths, but I'm not sure what to enter for Registry Value Names.

I did run a Exporter Pro report using the WMI option Startup, but it returned a ton of DLLs that I don't want to export.

Thx,
    Jeff

Re: Pull startup registry values

When you look at the key path in Registry Editor, or Hyena, is the information you need on the right-hand side as values, or beneath that point as sub-keys?

Comment

The information I need is on the right hand side as values. For example, I see the following on the right hand side:

Name Type Data
      Adobe ARM REG_SZ (Shows full dir path)
      iTunesHelper REG_SZ (Shows full dir path)

Hope this helps

Thx for the reply

Comment

Those will be your Registry Value Names:

%OBJECT_PATH%
        Adobe ARM
        iTunesHelper

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by cmccullough:
          <span style="font-weight: bold">Those will be your Registry Value Names:

%OBJECT_PATH%
          Adobe ARM
          iTunesHelper</span></div></div>

Thanks for the info. Do I need to list each individual application, or if I just use %OBJECT PATH% will it return all values?

Thx again

Comment

You would have to list each one separately.

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by cmccullough:
              <span style="font-weight: bold">You would have to list each one separately.</span></div></div>

That was what I was afraid of because I'm trying to pull the information from every PC to do a comparison as every PC has the potential to have different startup values in that registry key.

Is there anyway to pull all of the values from the registry key, or do they need to be explicitly listed?

If I can't pull all of the values from the registry key, is there a way to modify the Startup WMI Query to exclude all locations but the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run registry key?

When I run the Startup WMI Query, values are pulled from the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and Startup, which lists thousands of files - .DLLs, .exes, etc.

Thx

Comment

I created one and believe it give the results you are looking for. Change it to this and see if that works for you:

%OBJECT_PATH%
                %KEY_NAME%
                %VALUE_NAME%
                %VALUE%

Comment

<span style="font-weight: bold">I created one and believe it give the results you are looking for. Change it to this and see if that works for you:

%OBJECT_PATH%
                  %KEY_NAME%
                  %VALUE_NAME%
                  %VALUE%</span></div></div>

Changed to the values you listed, but no results. Appears to not be pulling any of the values.

Comment

<span style="font-weight: bold">I created one and believe it give the results you are looking for. Change it to this and see if that works for you:

%OBJECT_PATH%
                    %KEY_NAME%
                    %VALUE_NAME%

The error I get when running the export is:

Unable to open registry software key on 'workstation name'. The system cannot find the file specified.

Comment

Send a screenshot of your template to [email protected].

Comment

%OBJECT_PATH%
                        %KEY_NAME%
                        %VALUE_NAME%

I figured out the problem - I had the full registry key entered in the Registry Key paths file so HLKM was listed twice. Once I removed that and left just SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run in the registry key path, it worked like a charm!

Thanks a million for your time and expertise! Greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                        X