Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any way to adjust the timeout for machine contact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any way to adjust the timeout for machine contact?

Often times I'll select a computer in Hyena and it will show a "Ping successful on....." at the bottom of the Hyena window. Many times the selected computer is in fact powered off and it looks like my DNS cache is making it look like the computer is still on.

If I attempt to expand the computer object or right-click on it and select "Logged on Users" it will sit for about 30 -40 seconds before it returns a message like:

"Unable to open network resource. The network path was not found" or "Unable to connect to registry of <name>. Do you want to continue to receive error messages?"

I'd like to know if we can dial down the wait time for Hyena to try contacting the machine.

Re: Is there any way to adjust the timeout for machine contact?

I don't know of one, or rather, Hyena can't control it. I suspect that most functions, for example registry access, go through an RPC protocol at some point. When Hyena accesses the registry (for example), it issues a RegConnectRegistry API call, and what Windows does at that point is largely unknown, but it probably goes through a lot of layers. Any RPC timeout can't be adjusted to my knowledge. I'm sure that has to be a set timeout somewhere, but Microsoft apparently did not put into place any way to adjust it.

Almost everyone feels your pain:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/...a1-7ddee11f271c

Maybe we can figure out why the ping is not working as it should ?
    Kevin Stanush
    SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

Re: Is there any way to adjust the timeout for machine contact?

Thanks for the insight. Looks like it's something I'll need to get used to.

On the ping issue, I believe what I'm experiencing might be a hibernation / sleep mode issue. If I ping one of the machines from a command prompt, it indeed pings back, so Hyena appears to report what it sees. I'm going to dig a bit further on my end to see if I can find a test machine to nail this one down.

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Working...
      X