Manage multiple non-trusting domains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manage multiple non-trusting domains

I have machine in domain1 from which I manage domain1. We have brought up a completely separate domain (domain2) on our network and there is and will never be a trust between the 2. Is there anyway for me to manage domain2 from my machine in domain1 using Hyena?

Thanks

Re: Manage multiple non-trusting domains

Assuming the other domain is Active Directory, you can use the Authentication Credentials option available when you right-click on the domain in Hyena. This only applies to AD information and is not saved when you close Hyena.

Comment

I tried this and it takes the credentials. But it doesn't seem to use them. I can't get a list of servers in the domain:

Unable to list computers: This function requires the Browser service. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

I told it this was an AD domain when I added it. But it sounds like it's treating it as a workgroup. Strange.

Thanks for any help. This is not urgent. I've lived without being able to see this stuff in Hyena for lo these many years, so a little long won't matter. :-)

-Doug

Comment

The Servers folder is built from your Windows Browse List, and so depends on the Computer Browser service. Start that service, and if browsing is functioning properly on your domain you should see that list populate. The Computers folder, Domain Controllers, etc all come from AD directly. The Servers folder is the only one we have to depend on the Browse List for.

Comment

The server list aside, I was able to drill into the containers and get a list of my computers. But when I try to get something from one of the machines, I get access denied, unless I right-click and logon as. I thought that entering my credentials once for the domain might eliminate having to do the logon for each server.

Comment

No, the Authentication Credentials option only applies to AD information, and when you are looking at computers or servers you are no longer using AD. Logon As, or actually starting Hyena with Run As would be your options there.

Comment

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming it. It would be nice if you could take the credentials that I entered for the domain and use it as the default for each machine in the domain.

Thanks,
              Doug

Comment

Working...
              X