Can I create a dynamic object group?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I create a dynamic object group?

Since our browser system on our AD domain ceased to function reliably, the Servers group under the Domain is no longer fully populating. Whilst I'm OK with adding all our servers into a static custom Object Grouping, I was wondering if it was possible to create one (or similar) to contain all our servers and have that update dynamically as servers are added or removed from the domain?

Windows 2003/2008 AD.
    Hyena v6.7 rev D, Enterprise Edition.

Re: Can I create a dynamic object group?

The problem is that there isn't any way for Hyena to determine dynamically which computers are 'servers'. The browse list is the only way to know that for sure. Besides the static object grouping, you have two other options:

1. Put all of your servers into a 'Servers' OU. Displaying the contents of this OU will give you only your servers.

2. See if there are any AD fields that are either automatically populated that can tell you which computer is a server, or place a comment or some other flag into an existing AD attribute so that you know which are servers. Then, you can create a custom AD query to just retrieve your servers based on a search.

The downside to option #2 is that if you place the servers into multiple OUs throughout your AD structure, the search may be time consuming and take up resources. But if you place the servers into either the default Computers container then it should be OK.
    Kevin Stanush
    SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

Thanks for the speedy reply.
      As all our servers are under a separate AD OU (and multiple subcontainers), I had already investigated running a Custom AD query against it. Perhaps I'm missing something, but I then only see this Custom tab and contents when I look at the Properties of a Workstation directory object. It simply confirms that the OS version (the Attribute Directory Name I'm querying) is what it should be. What I need is to be able to create a Group containing these results.
      Put simply, the AD attribute I'm looking at for Workstations and Computers is 'operatingsystem'. If this value contains "Server" then that's a hit that needs to be placed in the group, or list of results.
      Hope that makes more sense.

Comment

Try creating a Container/OU Query (or modify an existing one) under File->Manage Object View->AD Queries.

Then create an LDAP Search Filter to find any computers that have *server* in the operatingSystem field. My test looked like:

(&(objectCategory=computer)(operatingSystem=*serve r*))

This assumes that all of your servers have the text server in the operatingSystem field.

Comment

Thanks for that. I got as far as creating a Container/OU, but what I can't figure out is where to put the LDAP query. All I have is the option to add or remove the predefined Schema Attributes to the Query Directory Attributes list.

Once I enter this query/filter in the right place how do I implement it, i.e. what context menu/node do I find the option execute or apply it? Also, will it traverse all the subcontainers in my Servers OU?

Comment

Under File->Manage Object View->AD Queries, double-click on your query to open the dialog where you set the filter. You can either paste in what I gave above and test that or define your own with the Define button.

To run it, right-click on a Container or OU and choose Query Active Directory.

Comment

Sorry... still stuck. Here is the screen I start from:

I double-click on my newly created entry and get the following screen, but I see nowhere I can put the filter.

Hope that helps.

[This message has been edited by Chips (edited 02-25-2009).]

Comment

I didn't catch the fact that you have an older version of Hyena. That functionality wasn't available in that version.

Comment

Nooooooooooo!!!

Comment

Let us know if you need a quote for an upgrade. Prices are not that expensive...
                    Kevin Stanush

Comment

I forgot to say that if you have a computer that has never had Hyena installed on it, you can download v7.5 and install it, then test this to see how it works (ie during the 30-day eval. period)
                      Kevin Stanush

Comment

Working...
                      X