Users with local admin rights on all domain computers via Exporter Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Users with local admin rights on all domain computers via Exporter Pro

I've used Exporter Pro as per instructions on this forum to export a list of all users with local admin rights on our computers. It worked great with only one issue. The "member name" was exported as "domain\username" (ie systemtools\bsmith) This differs from when you browse to the computer itself and look at Local groups->Administrators. When viewing it this way I see "domain\username (Display Name/Full Name)" I also see the "Display Name/Full Name" when using right-click function "View All Members" and thats what I need.

The reason is our directory names/logon name are very cryptic and management needs the display name. How can I make this happen? The info is there as viewing it by computer it's there. Why doesn't exporter pro display it the same way?

If exporter pro can't do this, does anyone know of a script or something that can take the logon name from an input file and look up in AD and return an output file with the logon name and display name? Either way would get the job done. Sorry for the long post. Hyena is great!

BTW my version is 6.7D

Thank you.

[This message has been edited by cobrajoe (edited 01-30-2008).]

Re: Users with local admin rights on all domain computers via Exporter Pro

Try the instructions by kstanush in this thread to see if they will help:

http://www.systemtools.com/toolboard...-with-contacts

Comment

His instructions appear to be for older versions as I can modify those attributes right in Exporter Pro 2.0 rev G for AD, WMI and Registry, but those are not the ones for NT/Local groups. I'm following your instructions for getting users with local admin rights.

Here they are:
      ------------copied text----------------
      I assume you mean you need the members of the administrators group on your computers?
      If so, here are instructions to get a list of the members of the local Administrators group:

Select your computers in Hyena's right window, then go to Tools->Exporter Pro->Export Selected Objects.
      Click the Settings button, then double-click on Windows NT/Local Groups.
      Check the box to Export Group Members, then enter in an output file such as c:\groups.txt.
      Check the box to Only export information for groups listed in this file:
      Enter in a file name such as c:\grpmembers.txt and click Edit.
      Notepad should open and tell you the file doesn't exist, then ask you if you want to create it. Click Yes.
      In the file enter in Administrators, then save the file and close Notepad.
      Click OK, then click Close, then click Start Export.

When it is finished exporting you can open c:\groups.txt with Excel and you will see the members of the Administrators group for the selected computers.
      ------------copied text----------------

Where are the .cfg templates for the "customize output columns" for all the other Exporter Pro tabs like: NT/Local groups, computers, services, etc?

Okay I found it. When I customize the output columns it modifies the Hyena_Exporter_Pro.INI file. The [groups] section contains a line MembersColumns. By default it looks like this: MembersColumns=1002,0,1,2,3

When I add all the additional columns it changes to this:
      MembersColumns=1002,0,1,2,3,1003,1005,1012,1014,10 04,1013,1006,1015

Is there any that would equal Full Name/Display Name?

I need the export to show the same info as Computer->Local Groups->Administrators. Which shows me Microsoft\bgates (Gates,Bill)

Hyena must be able to do this as it's displaying the data using the above method. Hyena can do everything else

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I know what you want to do, but its not easily done. Exporter Pro or Hyena can't easily look up the details on a user or group (the member) because the data isn't on the computer that is being processed. The fields that you have to select from now are all that are available from Windows.

To do this, the domain name has to be resolved back to something such as a computer, and trying to match the member name in AD back into the 'samaccountname' attribute is cumbersome and time consuming.

It might be possible to modify Exporter Pro to use older NT functions to do this, as that way AD can be side-stepped, but the process is still going to be slow. I'll give it a look over and get back to you.
        Kevin Stanush
        SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

The download location for a test version is being sent to you by email.

Comment

Great. I got it. I'll give it a try and let you know. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
            X