Machine Types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine Types

Can anyone explain why some devices that are running a Server O.S. show up only under the Workstation category?

One of my DHCP servers is listed properly as a Server, and the other shows up only under Computers/Workstaions. WINS configuration the same on both Servers. The only difference I can see is that the one listed as a workstation has the check mark checked under properties as being a Master Browser.

Thanks!

Re: Machine Types

The Servers folder is built from your Windows Browse List, so missing servers indicates a browsing issue involving those particular servers.

Comment

Its not really "missing" it is just listed under the wrong category.

Comment

Sorry, I meant missing from the Servers folder. Servers and workstations will always show up under Computers because this is the list of computer accounts for your domain. To get a list of just Servers, we have to rely on the Windows Browse List. So, when a server or servers are missing from the Servers folder, it is indicating a browsing issue of some sort.

Comment

No problem, I appreciate the help. I found the problem.

It was actually the "NetMan" Service. On the Server that was not showing up properly this service was stopped. I started it after viewing its description and sure enough if was properly enumerated in Hyena.

Thanks!!

Dale

Comment

I am having similar issues with many new servers that are being built. They don't show up in the browser list of all servers. I read the post about the service called Netman but I see no such service.

joe

Comment

You might see the service listed as Network Connections.

Comment

Are any of the servers you are having issues with on a Network segment seperated by routers or firewall/s? If so you will need to make sure that all of the protocols are both routable and will be allowed through any firewalls.

Dale...

Comment

Working...
                X