XP to XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP to XP

I am still looking for resolution to this 4-month old problem. Hyena works fine Win2000 to Win2000 or WinXP to Win2000. But fails WinXP to WinXP.

"unable to open network resource"

Re: XP to XP

I have no issues with XP to XP using Hyena. Have you verified that you can use all parts of computer management from your XP to XP machine? I believe you will find you can't do that very well either. Trust me, it's not Hyena because if it was then there would be allot more people on here asking the same question.
    Chances are your RPC is set to Network Service as MS hotfixes do that. In some cases you need to change the RPC locator service from Network Services to Local System. Also, remote registry may be shut down. Not allowing you access to the registry. The next problem is your firewall is running in which cases all kinds of things can be broken. If you allowed computer management to run through the fire wall then I would assume hyena will work. There are just too many varibles.
    Do a bit more researching and come back, post your diagnoses. Then we can see if we can point you in the right direction.

Comment

That is a unique-looking error. What operation/function are you trying to perform that gives you this error ? Chances are its the XP firewall, as that disables nearly every remote function.
      Kevin Stanush
      SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

Thanks guys. I have verified most of your comments. It's not a Hyena only problem. Windows MMC has the same issue. I was hoping that others had this problem and maybe a solution. It has been discussed both on this forum and with MS tech support.

Comment

Re-verified RPC set to local and remote registry both started. Cleared and reconfigured. Error:

Unable to open service control manager database on...Access is denied.

Comment

So, again, what action are you trying to perform that gives this error ? Verify that whatever you are logged onto has admin rights, and that the account (or its group) is a member of the remote machine's Administrators group.
            Kevin Stanush

Comment

I manage networks in multiple states using VNC over VPN. We recently deployed Hyena which produced the error. We attempted to confirm it was a WinXP issue by using MMC which indeed produced the same result. We are currently 1/3 WinXP 2/3 Win2000 in route to all XP. MMC and Hyena are not a must but would make support especially during business hours more transparent. Thanks, --Ed

Comment

Yes, but when you run Hyena, and find a computer that you want to manage, what action are you taking to get an error ?
                Kevin Stanush

Comment

Start-Run-MMC-File-Add/Remove Snapin. Find Computer Management snapin. Once configured "none" of the features work XP to XP.

Comment

I am going to throw this out there and it is not meant to be little you. If you are using VPN to connect and then manage with VNC. You would need to use Hyena on the machine your VNC'ng to. Is there a member server that you can RDP into with Hyena installed on it.
                    The trick to using Hyena or MMC via a VPN connection is that you need to set up the VPN connection to connect prior to loggin on the machine. If you are logging on the machine and then firing up VPN, then the machine your on is not fully authenticated on the domain.

Example: You have a laptop that belongs to domain A. You are off the network, when you start the laptop and hit Ctrl,Alt,Del you get the VPN logon pop up first. Enter your information to make the VPN connection first. Then you log on the machine. Now you will be able to use MMC/Hyena without authentication problems. The firewall is another issue in it's self. This method is the only true way to authenticate your machine on the domain for remote management.

If you have multiple domains to manage and this isn't feasable for you. Then refer to the RDP solution on a member server with Hyena installed.

Comment

No worries; it's hard to convey every detail; but in fact I use the VPN/VNC to take control of an Admin pc running Hyena locally. I can then access all other computer on that local net. Again, Hyena and MMC work great except xp to xp.

Comment

Great, so the next question is whether you have group policies? You should go into your GPO and drill down.
                        Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Network>Network Connections>Windows Firewall
                        Computers running inside a domain that is behind a firewall have no need to be running the firewall. This only breaks things like remote management, anti-virus definitions and other things that normal domain workstations require. You can set the Domain Profile to disabled and then set the standard profile to on. The standard profile would apply to things like laptops. So when there not on the Domain, they would enable the firewall.

Comment

We use workgroups and Netware 5 not domains. There are NO policies set. But I did run into something interesting. I upgraded a workstations from W2k to XP and both MMC and Hyena work fine. So it's only XP to XP when XP has been installed clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Hiker:
                            We use workgroups and Netware 5 not domains. There are NO policies set.
                            Ok, with that said....... Not much I can do to help. I don't have much experience in a work group enviroment. It's definatley a security/rights problem

Comment

Thanks for your time and efforts. Everyone I have discussed this with uses Hyena and MMC in a Windows server and domain environment. System Tools still believes it should work for me...so I am iclined to believe it has something to do with xp security. The fact that I can communicate successfully xp to xp if both workstations are upgrades only makes me believe it all the more. Thanks again...

Comment

Working...
                              X