Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exporting data from multiple, independent domains

Hi,

I'm a consultant that is in a different environment on a regular basis. Is it possible to use exporter pro to grab details about domains of which my laptop is not a member of? I've been trying to get it working in my test environment and am unable to connect to the domain. I've tried listing the domains (the one I want doesn't show up), I've tried specifying by hand (LDAP://domain.com) and I've tried "Run As" (even the command line runas) all to no avail. Attempts to "Run As" result in failed logins (doesn't seem like my laptop can find a domain controller) and attempts to specify by hand result in the following error message:

Unable to lookup domain controller for domain 'DOMAIN.COM'. The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

What must be done so that, with only domain administrative login information and network access, I can use exporter to list informaion about a domain?

Re: Exporting data from multiple, independent domains

There's a quite a few variables to your question. Are you running Exporter Pro directly, or through Hyena? If through Hyena, are you able to add the domain to Hyena and then view information on that domain using Hyena (leaving Exporter Pro out for troubleshooting)?

Comment

Thank you for the prompt response.

I am using *just* exporter pro, not Hyena. My primary goal is to gather information, but not make any changes, which is why system exporter seems like the way to go. I am using it on a company provided laptop that is part of my own corporate domain. I would like to use it to audit my client's domains when I am out in the field. Ideally, this needs to be something I can do without having to install anything on any of my client's systems.

[This message has been edited by crowemojo (edited 05-23-2006).]

Comment

Exporter Pro doesn't handle the authentication, or the resolving of domains, computers, etc. Run As on stexport.exe would be the recommended first thing to try, or you might be able to get by with a duplicate username/password in each domain that matches what you are logged in with. You'd have to experiment with that, though.

The domain controller not found errors are indicating a resolution issue of some sort, possibly DNS.

Exporter Pro will simply issue requests to the path you specified, and Windows will take care of the rest.

Comment

In regards to the not finding the domain controller, ... When I reboot the exact same system into a different windows image (that isn't part of a domain) and join the test domain, I'm able to do so without any problem. Then the domain checks work, but I still get an initial error of not being able to find the domain controller. What's really odd is that I get that error, and then two status messages later, it tells me which domain controllers are being polled for last logon information.

Comment

I'm not sure I follow. Send more details on this configuration and possibly screenshots to [email protected].

Comment

Working...
            X