Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Managing Members of Group From NTFS Security

Hi All,

If I open the shares object under a server in the left pane, and then browse to the folder in question and right click and go to more functions\view NTFS security, I can display what groups have rights to the contents of this folder. I do this to determine what group I need to add a user to in order to grant them access to that folder. To add them to the group however, requires that I now open the user object under Containers/OU's (which takes time to enumerate) and then add the user to the group. What would be handy would be to select the group as listed in the right pane when you select View NTFS Permissions and be able to add or remove users from here. That way you avoid the step of going to find the user, which could be in one of several OU's and you may not know which one they are in. Is this possible?

Cheers!

Re: Managing Members of Group From NTFS Security

Unfortunately, this can't be done easily. The main limitation is Microsoft never completely tied AD into Windows the right way (in my opinion), so some things, like security listing, don't reflect where the user is. Put another way, the user or group is not formatted in a way that I can easily access it in AD. The older NT functions might work, but we are unsure if Microsoft will support them in the future.

The only way to probably do this would be to keep the OU open in the left window and find them there while you look at the current permissions in the right window.
    Kevin Stanush
    SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

Re: Managing Members of Group From NTFS Security

Unfortunatly as Hyena is an awsome tools, it's only as good as M$ operating system and active directory design.
      I run two monitors and would run two instances of Hyena open. One on each monitor in a case like this. It's not exactly a fix but maybe an easier way of getting that done without having to enumerate it again.

Comment

Working...
      X