Change default Object Type selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change default Object Type selection

This is not Hyena specific, but I consider this THE place for assisance on ease of use subjects.

I use GPO's and Global Group membership to apply software installs to computers. My issue is - How can I change which Object Types are selected by default when adding Members to Groups?

I would like to have Computers as a default selection, instead of going in and adding it each time.

Re: Change default Object Type selection

Let us know the steps you go through to get to whatever dialog you are referring to. If its the general Windows picker dialog, you may be out of luck on a way to change this if using Microsoft tools, but Hyena has numerous places where it displays the same object picker dialog and we might be able to add an advanced registry setting in Hyena to control it and save you a few keystrokes.
    Kevin Stanush
    SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

Select Global Groups, then right-click a group and select Properties, then Members.
      Click Add.

Under "Select this object type:", it has "Users, Groups, or Other Objects" as default selections.

I want to add Computers to that selection.

Comment

I assume that you are using Windows XP as your client OS ? And, verify for me that when you look at the Properties for a group, that you are seeing a tab labeled 'Security', as that would indicate that you are looking at Microsoft's Properties dialog. Hyena's dialog looks similar, but the security is found on the Object tab under a button.

Hyena's dialog 'might' be able to control this, as the default object types can be changed by the application, but Microsoft's dialog is set to that way by Microsoft, so you would not be able to change the behavior when you use Microsoft's property page.
        Kevin Stanush

Comment

I have the Security tab, so I guess I'm out of luck.

I did find out that if you grab all of the computers, right-click, and select Directory Functions>Add To Group, it works just as well.

Since we isolate our new istalls to their own OU until they are completed, this looks like the way to go.

SideBar - Why can't you select Directory Functions from Servers, but you can from the Computers and Domain Controllers? is it related to getting the Servers from WINS?

Comment

Glad you found a workaround.

You are correct in why we have the limitation on the AD functions menu not being available for servers. The servers list comes from the Windows browse list, and all we have is a Netbios path, and we need an AD path to do AD-related functions.

If you have your servers in their own OU, then you can get to the menu that way.

We only have a Servers list because so many customers liked it and wanted to still have it like it was back in the NT 4.0 days. Unfortunately, AD lacks any way to quickly filter out the servers from normal computers.
            Kevin Stanush

Comment

Working...
            X