Increase object retrieval count limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increase object retrieval count limit

I am trying to save the list view of all mail-enabled objects in the forest, which amounts to 20000+ objects. But Hyena is limiting me 10000 when using the Find function that is calling the ADUC API. If I increase the limit in ADUC to, say, 20000, it still doesn't work. How do I increase the retrieval limit? It should be noted that I run Hyena with RunAs... on my desktop (desktop account is domain user, Hyena account is domain admin). Thanks.

Scott.

Re: Increase object retrieval count limit

We will contact Microsoft to see if there is a way around this limitation, but we don't think there is.

In the meantime, your best bet is to use Exporter Pro to export user data that includes the mail attribute that you want and view the output file in Excel or Access.

Comment

Chuck, I tested with ADUC by increasing to 20000 and retrieving natively in ADUC. It is hardcoded to not retrieve more than 10000 even if you set your filter to 10000+. So perhaps there is a domain (or domain controller) specific setting for it.

Scott.

Comment

BTW, I have never used Exporter Pro (surprising since I live by Hyena) so I will have to see how to do it. In case I can't figure it out, is it easy for you instruct me (I should look at the help files, too.)? I need to export all mailboxes, DLs, mail-enabled contacts with specific attributes in tab delimited format for chargeback purposes (on a weekly basis). We were using 5.5 Admin to do it, but now that 5.5 is almost gone for us, I need to find the best way to get this from AD, so I naturally turned Hyena to do this.

Comment

If you find you can't figure it out, send an email to [email protected] with the fields you want included and I'll help you out.

Comment

I reported this problem to Microsoft which responded with these links to solutions.

Let us know if you try these and what the results are:

Controlling the Active Directory Search Buffer Size
            http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q243281

QueryLimit
            http://www.microsoft.com/resources/docum...entry/95413.asp
            Kevin Stanush
            SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

Changing the value via the registry works on-the-fly. I was immediately able to pull all 22584 objects. Since I run Hyena with RunAs...I will need to determine the SID of that account and enter the value there. Thanks for finding it.

Scott.

Comment

It is working as expected now. However, in the ADUC window I add/remove columns, highlight all the accounts and click OK to transfer them to the list window. But none of the fields are coming over, onlt the default 4 or 5 fields? I have a list of attibutes that I need. Is there a way for Hyena's list window to show more than those default fields?

Comment

It is working as expected now. However, in the ADUC window I add/remove columns, highlight all the accounts and click OK to transfer them to the list window. But none of the fields are coming over, onlt the default 4 or 5 fields? I have a list of attibutes that I need. Is there a way for Hyena's list window to show more than those default fields?

Comment

Hyena's view works off of what we call queries. You can add and remove fields by going to File->Manage Object View->AD Queries.

Comment

You unfortunately can't return the columns back to Hyena as this dialog does not support returning this information to the application. ADU&C works the same way, sort of, as you can't return the info back to ADU&C anyway.

In Hyena you can run a query and have the query contain whatever fields you want, but Hyena does not support filtering at the query level. We've thought about adding that capability, but its complicated to specify the AD filter, and most users probably would not get the syntax right so it would be a support nightmare.

Other than retrieving all users in Hyena then filtering on whatever field you want, you only option would be to use Exporter Pro to retrieve the data non-interactively, then filter using Excel or Access.
                      Kevin Stanush
                      SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

Working...
                      X