Active AD Groups and Usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active AD Groups and Usage

Hopefully, Hyena can do what I am trying to accomplish. What I want to do is as follows; how can I generate/ find out which Security Groups within my single domain AD are still been utilized within the environment such as Windows shares, NTFS permissions and so on. The ultimate goal I am trying to accomplish is to clean up AD and need to figure out which groups are no longer needed or not used in the last year or 6 months. Any guidance/ help is much appreciated.

There isn't a direct way to do what you want to do, as AD does not have any information regarding where you have used a particular group for any security purpose.

The only option is to use Hyena's View NTFS security option and scan the appropriate directories. Hopefully, you just need to scan key directories (and possibly directory security only). You can export this information to Excel or Access and build a database and then search it for your groups.

You can right click on the main Shares node under any server and select View all Access Rights and get all of the security on your shares, however.
    Kevin Stanush
    SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

Thank you for your response Kevin. Would you be able to point to a KB how may I accomplish this task? I am kind of new to this tool 🙄

Comment

Sure, we have this document:

https://www.systemtools.com/kb/permi..._reporting.pdf
        Kevin Stanush
        SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

Working...
        X