Add user NTFS access to entire tree w/o total rewrite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add user NTFS access to entire tree w/o total rewrite

How can I most easily give (or take away)access permissions to a person or group for an entire branch of a directory structure without re-writing the acls for all the files and directories? (As what happens when checking the top checkbox in the Directory Permissions dialog box.) For example, suppose it is declared that the CEO should have read privilege for the entire Business share. This share is huge, with many sub-directories controled by different people and having different access for different groups. How do I get the CIO with read access into each of these directories and files?

Re: Add user NTFS access to entire tree w/o total rewrite

Your best solution for this would be to look at a product called Security Explorer at http://www.smallwonders.com

It has the ability to do this for you.

Comment

You should also be able to utilize "cacls" through a "Tool" function. Use the "/e" switch in your command line to edit instead of replace permissions.

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by ogradin:
        <span style="font-weight: bold">You should also be able to utilize "cacls" through a "Tool" function. Use the "/e" switch in your command line to edit instead of replace permissions.</span></div></div>

I have tried to change permissions using XCACLS.EXE with through a Tools function but it only changed on my local computer not on the selected object, the same command worked ok though "Add Remote Job"

Comment

Working...
        X