Service startup parameters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service startup parameters

How can I specify a 'Startup parameter' to start a service with?

(I'm using v2.5.2)

Re: Service startup parameters

At the moment, we don't support this. Our problem is testing this feature, as we need to identify a service that supports this. Can you give us the name of the service that you are entering startup parameters for ?

Thanks
    Kevin Stanush
    SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

I have a couple..

The service - MSSQLServer with the '-m' (without quotes) parameter to startup in Single-User Mode.

The service MSExchangeKMS with the Key Management Server password as it's startup parameter.

Comment

I have Hyena 4.5 and am wondering if this feature now available to my version?

I wish to set hyena to run through the whole list of PC's on the domain (if it will do servers then them as aswell) and "disable" the services called "sweepnet" and "sweepsrv.sys"

Is this do-able?

Comment

The startup parameter option for services is still not available in Hyena, but I believe that your inquiry has nothing to do with this. The "startup parameters" is a text string that can be specified when a service starts. What you want to do is disable (change the startup option) for these services. To do this, first get a list of computers in Hyena's right window. Select as many as you want, right click, select More Functions->Service Startup. The dialog requires that you enter the actual service name, which you can verify by looking at a sample computer's services and look in the Service Name column: note that you need the service NAME and not the display/description name. You also need to supply any existing startup account information and select the disabled/manual/etc startup method.

Hyena will then change the service for all selected computers. Check the Settings... option to make sure whether you want to skip offline/greyed out computers or you can do them all. If a computer is offline, there is an annoying timeout, so you want to let this run for awhile and maybe create a log file.

You can use Hyena's Export option after you are done to verify that the services are all disabled. You also have to do this for each service individually.

Hope this helps...
          Kevin Stanush

Comment

Ok, this apears to be what I'm after

When i completed it i checked the log and it dumped this..
            \\KB0215 SWEEPNET 1\\KB0216 SWEEPNET 1\\KB0223 SWEEPNET 1\\KB0224 SWEEPNET 1

Can I assume that a "1" means that it worked and a at a guess a "0" means that it didn't work??

*edit* : Sorry should have check myself.. It seems to be working perfectly.. thanks very much for the heads up.. you saved me a LOT of time.. :-)

[This message has been edited by senectus (edited 11-26-2002).]

Comment

Yes, '1' is a success, '0' is a failure. Sorry if the log file does not have the right linefeeds in it. We used a 'C' function that sometimes does strange things. Sometimes WordPad vs. Notepad will put it back right for you...
              Kevin Stanush

Comment

Working...
              X