Make mapped home drives have a drive letter only label

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make mapped home drives have a drive letter only label

I am not using Hyena yet, let me see if someone can answer this. In a small NT 4 network using login scripts to map home drives, these home drives work fine except I would like the drive letter only to appear under Explorer or My Computer. For instance, say a user named Richard logs on
    (username = richard). He then gets a home folder mapped to S: which appears
    under My Computer label of "S: Richard$ on 'PDC'". I don't want the description to appear only the drive letter. We do this at my job and I want to simulate it but I can't figure out how to duplicate it at home.

My simple login script:

NET TIME \\PDC /SET /Y
    Net use S: /HOME
    echo off
    cls

User Manager for Domains:

User Profiles section: BLANK

Home Directory section:

Local Path: BLANK
    Connect: S: To: \\PDC\%Username%

Re: Make mapped home drives have a drive letter only label

This is an interesting request. Its not really something that Hyena controls, but here is an idea:

There is a command known as SUBST that works on NT 4.0 and Windows 2000, and a lot of administrators use it in logon scripts to map a user to a home directory. I thought that you had to have an existing drive mapped to a share in order to use it, but you might be able to directly in your logon script use:

SUBST s: \\PDC\username

The trick might be getting the username, which can be hard in a logon script, or you can do this:

SUBST T: S:

which will create a new (additional) drive letter.

Other than that, I am out of ideas...
    Kevin Stanush
    SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

Working...
    X