Class Not Registered - Exchange 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class Not Registered - Exchange 2010

When I try to add my exchange servers in settings i get "Class not registered" error. I do have exchange 2010 tools installed on my win 7 64bit machine and are working ok. - sp1 rollup 6

Re: Class Not Registered - Exchange 2010

That sounds like our dll didn’t get registered for some reason. When you enable Exchange 2010 functionality in Hyena, it will automatically register this dll, but it has to use a file called regasm.exe. If it can’t find the file, this will fail.

So, search your drive and see if you can find a copy of regasm.exe. Make sure you use the 64 bit version since you are on Win 7 64 bit.

When you find it, run this command from a Command Prompt:

Regasm.exe systemtools_psi.dll

Comment

I uninstalled/restarted reinstalled 64 bit version which is original version i tried - no luck... uninstalled 64 bit ver then reinstalled 32 bit version and it worked. Is 32 bit version ok to run or should i try the solution you suggested? Thanks!

Comment

No, you definitely want to run the 64 bit version. Then follow my steps above.

Comment

The registration of the systemtools_psi.dll file is done in Hyena when you enable Exchange integration, not during the install. Since we have to use the Microsoft utility regasm.exe, there unfortunately isn't any error that we can trap or see in our code. Normally, it works, but if Hyena can't find the regasm.exe file or there are permission problems, then the registration will fail silently.
          Kevin Stanush
          SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

When I tried to enable Exchange 2010 integration it failed. When I tried to manually register the dll with this command: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727>rega sm.exe "c:\Program Files\hyena\systemtools_PSI.dll" I get the error "RegAsm : error RA0000 : Failed to load 'c:\Program Files\hyena\systemtools_PSI.dll' because it is not a valid .NET assembly". This is on 64 bit Windows 7 Pro with 64 bit Hyena. The only .Net Framework I have installed is version 4. Any ideas?

Comment

Go to Tools->Settings->Exchange 2007/2010, click Add beside Exchange Server Domain Assignments. Enter in a DNS Domain Name, then enter the name of your Exchange Server and click Find. What is the exact error you get at that point?

Comment

"Class not registered", hence the attempt to do it manaully. I had to search my "C" drive to find the regasm.exe file. It wasn't in my path. That's why I ran the command from the folder that contained the regasm.exe file and used the full path to Systemtools_PSI.dll file to try to register it.

Comment

I was able to duplicate this issue using regasm.exe from the directory you used. The one that worked for me was in framework64:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727>

Comment

That worked after I switched to command prompt with admin priveleges. When I first searched for regasm.exe I stopped searching after it found the first file. I didn't realize there was another version. Thanks for the quick response!

Comment

I'm having the same problem, but I can't find regasm.exe on my computer.

Windows 7 64-bit, with Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile and Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended in my Programs and Features list.

I don't see .NET Framework listed anywhere as a pre-requisite/system requirement for Hyena. Why is this regasm.exe not bundled with Hyena?

Comment

On your system do you have this directory?

c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework64

Beneath that should be one or more version directories, such as v4.0.30319. In there is where you should have regasm.exe.

Comment

We don't list the .NET framework as a pre-install requirement because Hyena does not depend on it for any action except for the Powershell Exchange functionality, and when you install Powershell, it installs the .NET framework for you. Regasm.exe is part of the Framework, and even if we were allowed to redistribute it (which I doubt), you still need the entire .NET framework to get Powershell to work. We wish there was an API or another method to register .NET assemblies, but this is what Microsoft created.
                          Kevin Stanush
                          SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

I didn't see the Microsoft.Net folder the first time I checked, but I re-installed .Net Framework 4 and it showed up, and I got it registered correctly, and it works.

I still think this is a pretty user-unfriendly way of dealing with the whole thing. In Hyena, I mean, not you guys. You're very user friendly.

I'm certainly no coding expert, but I spent 10 minutes googling and came up with this: http://edndoc.esri.com/arcobjects/9....8d86f5e91e.htm. The comment at the bottom of the page says you can pre-generate the necessary registry entries in a .reg file, so you can distribute the .dll file and put in the registry entries with regedit, which absolutely every computer is guaranteed to have.

Comment

We are looking at this process and appreciate any suggestions you have. There are a number of reasons why this particular idea wouldn't work, one being the .reg file created by regasm uses hard-coded paths to our .dll (it puts them in the registry that way so Windows can find the file since it isn't typically on the path). Since Hyena can be installed anywhere, pushing a .reg file with hard-coded paths to .dlls would break the process as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X