Windows Vista and elevated privileges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows Vista and elevated privileges

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by kstanush:
    <span style="font-weight: bold">Glad to know that this works, but as a 'solution' its not great for us for a number of reasons.

Most users probably won't know about this option, so regardless of where we document this, etc. we will forever get inquiries about the errors you originally reported.

There isn't any reason why Microsoft could not just have an option under the Properties of the shortcut, like they did before, where you could control whether you wanted a plain "run as LOCAL administrator" or "run as...(provide credentials)" option.

This change also affects every program you run with 'run as administrator', so it would be great if you could select this on a program-by-program basis.

The other thing that is a bit annoying is that when you runas an application as a domain or enterprise admin, any process created by the application (in Vista) is not run under the same security context you ran the parent under. This does not make any sense. The only way to get sub-programs to run as the same security context as the parent is to have Vista elevate the process rights through the menu option 'run as administrator'.

I assume that the last account you ran the application under is saved for you, so at most all you have to do is supply the password, right ?

Thanks for testing this out.</span></div></div>
    I totally agree that this change of behaviour doesn’t make sense and it won’t be easy to point this out to users.
    Saving the username is not offered so I have to type both account and password when starting Hyena.

Comment

Working...
    X