network printer - remapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• network printer - remapping

Is there a way (without interrupting the user) to check which network printers the user has setup. I am moving our print server to another machine and need to remap the printers on the PC's so they will be using the printers on the new print server. Not everyone has the same printers so I need to check which printers they have setup on their pc, remove those, add the printer from the new print server. Does anyone have a way to do this?
    I also need this for drive mappings as well.
    Thanks for any insight.

Re: network printer - remapping

Look in the resource kit and you will find there is some printer vbs files that can do this for you. There is three of them in there along with a help file telling you how to do it.
    You should be able to run them with psexec or a login script.

Comment

Can someone tell me what resource kit has the printer vbs files and where I might be able to obtain them?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Trammel:
      <span style="font-weight: bold">Look in the resource kit and you will find there is some printer vbs files that can do this for you. There is three of them in there along with a help file telling you how to do it.
      You should be able to run them with psexec or a login script.</span></div></div>

Comment

I believe I found them originaly in the Windows 2000 resource kit.

There also available from the Windows 2003 resource kit.
        <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
        Printer Administration Objects (PrnAdmin) is a COM-based tool that provides large-scale, noninteractive control of printers, drivers, and ports on local and remote computers.

Using PrnAdmin, you can:

Add and delete a local or remote printer.
        Add and delete printer connections.
        Add and delete a local or remote form.
        Add and delete a local or remote standard TCP/IP port (of type Line Printer Remote (LPR) or RAW).
        Add and delete a local or remote driver.
        View a list of printers, ports, drivers, and forms on a local or remote computer.
        Control and configure a local or remote printer.
        PrnAdmin consists of several scriptable COM objects residing in Prnadmin.dll, which functions as a wrapper around Printui.dll. Several Microsoft Visual Basic Script (VBScript) sample files are included with the tool.

Note

For more detailed information on how to use PrnAdmin.DLL, see Prnadmin.doc. This white paper provides additional information on printer, drivers, ports and forms to help administrators and programmers manage a large number of local and remote printers.
        Corresponding Operating System Features
        All the functionality of prnadmin.dll can be duplicated using the printers folder and various wizards. Converting printer ports from LPR to Standard TCP/IP is the only functionality in prnadmin.dll for which there is no corresponding GUI.

Concepts
        PrnAdmin consists of several COM objects residing in Prnadmin.dll. You need to know a scripting language (for example, VBScript or JScript), or you can make use of the objects provided by PrnAdmin in any programming language that supports COM programming.

For more information about COM, see Microsoft Component Object Model(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=12420).

For more information about PrnAdmin and the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) scripts in Windows Server 2003, see Designing and Deploying Print Servers(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=4745) in the Windows Server 2003 Deployment Kit.

System Requirements
        The following are the system requirements for this tool:

Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 operating systems.
        Notes

PrnAdmin does not run on Windows NT 4.0; however, it can target a remote Windows NT 4.0 server. You cannot use the WMI print classes on Windows NT 4.0.
        There is limited support for WMI print classes in Windows 2000. These print classes are read-only.
        There is more support for WMI print classes in Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP. These WMI print classes are read- and write-enabled.
        The user must have Administrator permissions on printer objects in Active Directory.
        Files Required
        Prnadmin.dll
        Prnadmin.doc
        The following sample VBScript files are also required:

Clean.vbs
        Clone.vbs (there is no WMI equivalent for the cloning script)
        Conall.vbs
        Defprn.vbs
        Drvmgr.vbs
        Forms.vbs
        Persist.vbs
        Portconv.vbs
        Portmgr.vbs
        Prncfg.vbs
        Prnctrl.vbs
        Prndata.vbs
        Prnmgr.vbs
        </div></div>