strange sort order for several properties of WMI queries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange sort order for several properties of WMI queries

Only recently have I started to look into the WMI functionality of Hyena. So when I took a first look at Win32_Process/Processes I noticed two strange things:

1) When you execute the query it seems that the right display window gets a complete refresh for every line that gets displayed. This is hardly noticeable for other WMI queries that don't return a number of lines as a result. Executing the Win32_Process/Processes query sends the window into a flickering frenzy for about 15-30 seconds (depending whether you query a server on the local LAN or in a remote location) until all processes - usually about 300 - are finally displayed, which is a bit annoying.

2) Some of the numerical properties that are returned by this query are sorted as you would expect, for instance ProcessId, HandleCount, Priority, PageFaults, PageFileUsage. Unfortunately, many others are sorted alphabetically, for instance Handle, KernelModeTime, UserModeTime, PrivatePageCount, PeakVirtualSize and some others. This makes hunting processes that hog ressources far more tedious than it ought to be.

I duplicated both behaviours with Hyena 8.8 and 9.01 on different machines.

Regards,
    Johannes Widi

I've noticed the flickering behavior, and you are right, that needs to be fixed. I'll look at both issues and get back to you. Thanks for reporting this.
    Kevin Stanush
    SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

Just checked with Hyena 9.0 'D'. The flickering is gone, most of the columns are now properly sorted. There is one exception - the 'Handle' column is still sorted alphabetically.

Comment

We have to follow whatever data type the WMI class gives us back. In the case of the Handle property, Microsoft has set it up as a string, perhaps because they wanted flexibility of using more than just numbers, I don't know. Here is the class details:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx

Sorry I can't fix this one.
        Kevin Stanush
        SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Working...
          X