Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hyena crashes when viewing event logs (7.02 rev C & 7.2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyena crashes when viewing event logs (7.02 rev C & 7.2)

Expand computer object. Expand Events. Click on any event log and I receive the normal Windows Debug / Send Error Report / don't Send dialog.

I am using a non-admin account. However, I am a loca admin of my computer.

I don't have this issue if I run Hyena with RunAs and my admin account.

Thanks,

Raffi

Re: Hyena crashes when viewing event logs (7.02 rev C & 7.2)

Are these events on your local computer ? And do you have the description field added to the right window display ? I'm assuming you don't get to see the events listed at all, right ?
    Kevin Stanush
    SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

Yes, this is my local PC which I am a local administrator.

Not sure what you mean by the display option. Can you please be more specific?

Comment

What I meant is that if you look at an event view listing in the right window, is the event description displayed, or do you have to double-click on an event to see the description ?

Also, you said above "I am using a non-admin account. However, I am a loca admin of my computer."

Are you logged in with a non-admin domain account, or a local non-admin account ?
        Kevin Stanush

Comment

I am able to expand the Event folder in the left pane. As soon as I single click on one of the event logs (application, security, etc.) Hyena crashes.

I am logged on to the PC with my AD domain non-admin account. My AD domain non-admin account is a member of the Administrators group on my local PC. My PC is also a member of the same AD Domain.

hope this helps.

Comment

Go to Tools->Settings->Display and change the Display Mode to Events. Is Description listed on the Current Columns side, or on the Available Columns side? If on the Current Columns side, click on Description and click the Delete button. Close that and restart Hyena, then try viewing events again.

Comment

Description does not show up in either column. However, if I start Hyena in RunAs mode with my Admin account then I can see the Description in the Available Column.

Comment

If it's not listed in the Available Column, then it must be on the other side. This indicates that Description is being displayed when you view events. Find it in the Current Columns side and remove it. Restart Hyena and try viewing events again.

Comment

The Description does not show up in either screen.

Comment

The only reason I'm sticking with this is that sometimes there is something in the Description that when displayed in Hyena's right window can cause issues.

Go ahead and send a screen shot of that dialog to [email protected] so we can see what you are seeing.

Comment

I re-installed Hyena and that didn't take care of it. In Add / Remove programs I noticed that I had two entries for Hyena. I un-installed both of them. Re-installed and everything is working now.

Comment

The root cause of having to instances of Hyena in Add/Remove programs was the fact that our desktop staff were distributing version 7.1.1 via Landesk (distribution software) and I was installing another version (7.2) at the same time. Having both versions seems to be the common problems and we have proven that on several other PC's/users.

Doesn't seem to be a Hyena issue.

Comment

Still wierd that it would crash though as you can have multiple versions installed. But all versions would use the same registry keys for settings and such. I suspect that one of the registry settings was messed up, and that was causing the crash.

Make sure that when they remotely install (ie push the install) that they don't copy any registry settings for Hyena, except the license information at most. Many of the settings are meant to be specific to the computer/user.
                          Kevin Stanush

Comment

will do and thanks for the follow up.

Raffi

Comment

Working...
                            X