2 annoying (bug's) in the "Find / Filter"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 annoying (bug's) in the "Find / Filter"

1. In the "Find/Filter Feature" you are not allowed to type in multiple items, but you can paste a string in the "Search string" window anyway !

2. In the "List Window Filtering" it's stated in the help that you are allowed to filter by multiple items separated by a ';' character (e.g. john;susan;mike) but you are not allowed to paste a string in the filter's columns !

Re: 2 annoying (bug's) in the "Find / Filter"

Let me know a bit more (clarify) what you mean in the case #1.

If in case #2, you mean that you can't paste into the filtering cell in Hyena's right window, note that the paste operations in Windows are carried out by Windows, and not the application. All Control-C and Control-V operations are handled by Windows...not applications. If you cannot paste into these columns, its due to Windows not supporting that action. I'm not sure if Hyena could even intercept that keystroke and then process it even if it wanted to.
    Kevin Stanush
    SystemTools Software Inc.

Comment

Is this something that can be done now? (option #2). I know typing isn't THAT hard but man it would be nice to be able to paste in the filter cell.

Comment

I just tested to be sure, and no that control still doesn't support pasting in information.

Comment

The problem is the filtered area of the header control does not support getting access to the edit portion. I managed to capture the Control-V, but there isn't any way (obvious) to put the text into the filter cell. The only command that does allow me to do this also immediately filters the data down. It would be more desirable to just paste the data, then let the user see/modify it then click the filter icon.

But I'll keep looking
          Kevin Stanush

Comment

Pasting data into the filter field is a needed feature as typing a SID is painful

Its really annoying that this doesn't work. Does System Tools expect this to ever be a working feature? People almost universally expect to be able to paste into text fields. Why is this particular text field any different?

Comment

Just spent the better part of the day seeing if anything was missed on trying to get this feature to allow a Paste, and no, that isn't going to happen (directly). Microsoft has their own edit control here that applications can't get access to, so we don't have a way of pasting into the cell. But then I had an idea about forcing characters into Windows through the hardware (keyboard) itself. That worked, but had horrible side-effects. But in testing that, it seemed that Microsoft does support pasting into these filtering cells, just not the normal way. Try this: Press the Control key and hold it down, then with another finger press and hold the Shift key, then with another finger press 'V'. Trying to come with a way to simulate this, but there seems to be a timing issue with all of the keys being pressed.
              Kevin Stanush

Comment

Paste into filtered fields works (work-around)!

Thanks.
                Using CTRL + SHIFT & pressing V does in fact work to paste data into a filter field.
                I would like to highly recommend that System Tools put a hovering label that fades away, a tool-tip if you will, or other highly visible "help" mechanism to bring long time Hyena users up to speed on this work-around.
                Thank you very much for sharing this work-around. Long time Hyena users will be happy to hear about this one.
                Scott

Comment

I agree, we will have to have something or this feature would be for 'elite in-the-know Hyena users only'. Will keep you posted.
                  Kevin Stanush

Comment

Originally posted by missioncritical View Post
                    I agree, we will have to have something or this feature would be for 'elite in-the-know Hyena users only'. Will keep you posted.
                    I'll take elite for $600 Alex

Comment

Just to update this thread: Hyena v10.5 (available now) will let you paste into the filtering cells with Control-V. Finally !
                      Kevin Stanush

Comment

Working...
                      X